Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Light Bar for Quilting Machine

Nice job! It's very similar to the set up my dealer suggested.

Hi all.

Wow. Lots of questions. I will do my best to answer them.

Sides and top are 1" square aluminum - 8 foot lengths. Track light. I used 2 sets of lights (Portfolio) that were on sale, about 35.00 ea, and the 8" track light bar. The wiring connection is also from the same Portfolio product. It has a built in switch. I did shorten the cord somewhat. I drilled holes in the one side top and bottom of the support bar for the wire to go down. Use rubber grommets (also from Lowes) to ensure no rubbing of electric cord with the aluminum bar.

I used double faced tape to attach the switch to the outside of the bar. Extension cord from the bar to the surge protector.

The connectors for the 90 degree angles and for the top bar, I bought online

Purchased were:

2 - Way Corner for 1" Square Tube, Black - quantity 2.
    End Cap for 1" Square Tube, Black - quantity 2
    Straight Connector for 1" Square Tube, Gray - quantity 1

Remember the old adage. Measure twice, cut once. Make sure your cuts are square and file down the ends. Depending on your quilting frame, you may need to use "U" bolts, or in my case since the frame has holes, I had to line up the bolt holes. I used 2.5 inch bolts, washers and nylon nuts to connect.

To ensure that the 90 degree connections (which are injected nylon) I used small metal screws to keep it together. I needed to use a connector for the top bar, as the aluminum is 8 feet long and the table is 12 feet.

As to heat from the lamps. My wife has not said that they are hot, but, you can swap out the halogen lights for LED, but that will be an added expense.

Total cost was just about $350.00 and took about 3 hours to construct - including plenty of coffee breaks while I pondered.

As always, when dealing with electricity, be careful and "think" about what you are doing. The lights provide excellent light all along the table and can be adjusted or moved along the track. Wife says it's very constant along the table with no shadows.

Wife did mention to me that I aught to make up some kits for those that want them, but don't want to spend $1,000. She says, that extra buys a lot of thread, batting and a good size stash of fabric! What do you think??

As to the question about the green leaders. Wife has had no indication that the green rubs off on anything.

I think kits are a great way to go!!

Wow! Looks like a great system!!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Wow! Great set-up. Thanks for posting photos and instructions.

I know this is an old thread but I need to add some kind of lighting system to my basement quilt room. I have a 12' APQS Millenium and the conversation from this old blog sounds like Gordon came up with a great idea - but the photos have been "moved or deleted" apparently. Does anybody have photos of this or other light systems that work well for a LA? I would like to create something that can be moved with the machine later or show an electrician and have something built. I have been hearing that LED is the way to go so will probably use that. Any input on lighting is greatly appreciated.

I have lights on my longarm which I purchased from Dave Jones and I am very happy with them. I installed them by myself and they are well worth the money. I will take a picture and post later.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Can't see the photos. What show's posted is that the image was moved or deleted.

I did submit a post with the pics in them. The msg I got said they have to be approved by a moderator. This was yesterday.

Since the pics are not posting, if you need them, send me a message with your e-mail and I will send them.

Thanks.

Gordon

I would love to see the pics Gordon. I have a setup that my husband built for me, but I'm having issues with a shadow from the head of the longarm on the quilt. I'm thinking it's the lights.

Gordon, are you signed up for both Yahoo digest groups for Innova? One has a "_" between the names. That one also has DIY ideas in their files and I think one was on lighting. Check it out. I'm also an Innova owner.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I just recently found this post, but I can not see the photos. :-( Can the photos be reposted? Thank you!

Did you ever get any photos from Gordon of his lighting system?

Gordon, if you sign up for the Yahoo Innova_longarm group they have lots of WIF files and one is a light bar for the machine. I got the info to add a webcam underneath my machine from cruising their files. Plus the group's members are very helpfull too.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    check this out:
    DYI Innova Longarm Light Bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8m93jjiATw

You can download the instruction here: www.hurdusew.com/Docs/DYI_Light_Kit.pdf

Pic did not come through for me, so I could see the light bar. There's pics of a cat, the words "Photo not found. Click for Photos" but it is "unclickable."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2