Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Looking for advice on organizing/packing up a sewing room before showing house >

Looking for advice on organizing/packing up a sewing room before showing house

Looking for advice on organizing/packing up a sewing room before showing house

Old 01-12-2015, 06:20 AM

Help - just got my PQ1500s. I can get it to sewing with walking foot using 2pieces of cotton and batting fine but when I just try to sew 2 scraps of fabric together (no batting) I get gathers in the sewing. Is there a place I can go to see videos of tension settings etc when using walking foot. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2015, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I will never move, so not a problem for me. If It were me I would leave my fabric in the neat closets, as they are now and just straighten it up the countertop and the room.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:49 AM

We're in the process of getting ready for listing right now (t minus 10 days), and I packed the entire sewing room except for a couple of things. I kept my main sewing machine out and tucked it in our walk-in closet, I have my AccuQuilt Studio and my small dies tucked under my bed because I have a not-for-profit organization I have already committed to cutting stuff out for, and I have two small "kits" that I made and have tucked away on a shelf in my linen closet that is pretty much empty of everything else.

If you do go the kit route, sit and think through each stage of the project so you don't end up finding out that you've packed something that you still need. I made sure I had the matching thread, bobbins, pins, a pair of sewing scissors, a small board to press on, my iron, the binding, and the necessary batting.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:05 AM

When I was packing, I pulled out enough fabric for a few quilts and kept everything together and separate. Kept my rulers and mats and threads etc. Then I packed my fabric and labeled everything. You never know how long it will take for your house to sell and you need to get into the storage and get something out if you need it. You really don't need all that stuff all the time, so it's not that hard to store. Just make sure you have about 2 or 3 quilt projects set aside.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:45 PM

I sent you a PM, and I would suggest ragamuffin is correct in her packing instructions, however I used clear see thru tubs, and put the numbers on the ends inside of each tub and on the inside top, room they came from and briefly noted items inside....I have put together some information for you, and I respectfully await your response. This will be our fifth move as well.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:51 PM

I am in the process of sorting and tossing as we are moving! The new house is 10 miles away so I'm trying to organize a room at a time. What makes me a little sad is how many magazines I have kept!! Two crates of just quilting magazines which I'm not sure if I'll recycle or donate..our library didn't seem to likely to take them. I've filled 3 banana boxes and 2 recycling tubs with other craft magazines! Anybody interested in crates of quilting magazines?
Old 01-12-2015, 04:16 PM

We just put our house on the market. I bought the plastic see-through bins and stared with fabric by color, one for patterns, tools/rulers, etc. Label, label, label. I left out the projects I was working on and anticipated projects. Left my sewing up but clutter was gone. Good luck. It could take awhile to sell so keep that in mind.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM

My advice is to think like a buyer . People are buying a lifestyle. They want space but also need "vision" to see how a room can be used. We are going to be buying our (last ever) house, Lord willing, in the next five years. I love to see a room ( a very large, bright room) already being used as a sewing room, but I hate to see the inevitable clutter that a sewing room has. I want to think I am going to have an always neat, tidy, spacious, bright sewing room because, hey, here it is! Right here in the house I'm touring for sale! The lure of a quilting lifestyle sans clutter! Doesn't the whole world live out of one box with one sewing machine, and wide open shelves ready to put brand new fabric?

That's how I would think going in as a buyer who likes to quilt. I don't want her crap, I want this SPACE for my own

If I were a buyer just looking at a bedroom that's stuffed to the gills with crafty crap, I would feel smothered and claustrophobic, whether I was creative or not. The way I see it, packing up a classroom (did that when our little school closed permanently) and helped my DD pack hers when she left the profession (after just two years) I was overwhelmed. So many decisions. So much physical, mental and emotional energy gets expended. Do yourself a favor and ask about everything you handle: does it bring me up or down? Have I used it in the past six months? Can I easily replace it if I let it go now? If you answered up, yes, yes" keep it. Otherwise, let it go, let it go.....

i like the idea of keeping one kit ready for when you just have the itch to sew at your machine. And a basket for handwork to relax with. What will you thank yourself for doing later? I like to start at the end and work backwards.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:34 PM

I am planning on putting my house on the market again in March or April. We did last year, but didn't have luck selling. But last year we did go through everything, got rid of lots and lots. It's amazing what you can collect in 8 yrs. in a house with no basement. But I thought I'd be good and pack up my entire sewing room. Couldn't sew, and that drove me nuts. So when we decided to take the house off the market in August, I had to unload the entire room. Lots and lots of work. But I ended up getting a couple dressers and storage units, and got everything unloaded again, but this time it's organized and I can clean up my room to look neat, but still have access to everything and I can still sew. Just won't be working on 10 things at once. So you can kill two birds with one stone. Good luck in selling your home.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 AM

Now might be a good time to try something ne, such as hand sewing. Perhaps hexies??