Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
My messy sewing room >

My messy sewing room

My messy sewing room

Old 06-02-2012, 04:15 AM

You can do it! Put your fabric and/or projects in clear boxes so you can see what you have. Seriously, are you going to use all that you have? Can you share with others so your space is more user friendly for YOU!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:02 AM

Ha Ha Ha...I bet my sewing room is messier than yours! LOL
Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 AM

If you're busy making quilts and clothing, there's not enough time to keep everything super tidy! I usually have a few projects going on at one time, all in different stages. When I get tired of working on one, I can switch to another. It makes for a messy sewing room, though. I wish I were tidier, but I get a lot of projects finished.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:09 AM

ohhhh....I think it's beautiful looking.........someone's little slice of heaven.......
Old 06-02-2012, 09:06 AM

Sue if I were visiting my sister in Henderson I would come over and help you organize. A little at a time. Don't forget to label the boxes so you know what is in them. Keep pluging away. I am also trying to control my scraps. It is a never ending battle! Luann in CT
Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 AM

I force myself, and I do mean FORCE, to clean my studio after each project is finihed. Bad part is, I usually have 2 or 3 going at one time. Right now, I have one in the hand quilting frame, one in the long-arm, one being pieced on my Paff, and One on the design wall. But I do try to clean as one part (piecing, quilting, or binding is finished.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 PM

I can't even find the table in my sewing room to sew on! I think my machine is somewhere close to the table, but I'm not sure. Hmmmm 15 minutes is doable, after all, my mess didn't get there in just 15 minutes, so just one 15 minute session isn't going to get it cleaned up, but I can handle 15 minutes.
Thank you for being brave enough to post your pictures. And thank you other QB members for your organizing ideas.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by KSue View Post
As ugly and messy this room looks it is a wonder that I ever get anything sewn properly. I clean it up and then it gets messed up again. Although I am in the process of organizing my scraps into 2", 3 1/2" and 5" squares. Oh and also 1 1/2" squares for my postage stamp quilt. They are going into plastic bags for now and then clear shoe boxes. I thought maybe if I posted my mess on this forum that it would motivate me into getting it done. If you have any suggestions/ideas, please don't be bashful. Let me know how to "fix" this mess. Hopefully I will be able to post more than one pic. Well, it let me post 3 pics but I guess you can see the mess I am in. And I don't like the little attached images. When you click on them they always magnify and you really can't see it well.
Yea, what is with these teeny pictures? I don't even bother any more looking (even though I wouldlike to) as I have to keep scrolling up and down and back and forth. No fun at all!!!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:25 PM

I "ruler folded" all my fabric and it stacks much better on my shelves. Once you "corral" all the fabric it will be easier to organize the rest of your sewing room. Just try working for 15 minutes at a time. Baby steps will get it organized and you will enjoy your space so much more. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by karate lady View Post
Yea, what is with these teeny pictures? I don't even bother any more looking (even though I wouldlike to) as I have to keep scrolling up and down and back and forth. No fun at all!!!
Me too! I hate the tiny pictures! Once I enlarge one I can't get back to see the next unless I go clear back to the beginning and scroll thru all the previous messages until I get back to where the thumbnails are. I have tried x-ing out and have tried back arrowing and everything else that normally works, but to no avail! I love looking at the pix but since they are thumbnails now I usually end up just moving on... ;o(

I too, am in the process of reorganizing my sewing rooms. I have been faithfully reading this forum and got some good tips. I tried the core insulation from Lowes for wrapping fabric on but found it messy and its too thick to save any space. Someone else mentioned to use plastic (corrugated?) but not sure what she meant or where to buy it. One thing that is really helpful is the white wire shelving I installed all the way around my room, with the shelf just level with the tops of the door and window frames. That means its down just about 15 inches or so from the ceiling. I can store bags of batting there and stuff like pillow forms, and anything else I don't need on a regular basis. I bought a pair of those grabber things at Target and they work great for retrieving most bags without climbing. I also store some of my UFO blocks there in Pizza boxes and have them labeled by the name of the block or project. Its tons of free space that often goes unused. I also find that the wire grid allows me to put hangers there with stuff I am using for my current project. For instance, I cut the binding strips as I'm cutting my blocks and hang them over a hanger until I am ready to use it. I also may only have time to assemble one row of blocks at a time so I can label it row one and hang it until I get sewing time the next day. I work a lot of hours so I usually try to get up, get coffee and sew for perhaps 30 minutes each day before work. This means I need stuff handy and ready to go. So the wire shelving serves a dual purpose for me. Hope this idea helps someone else.