Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My studio...yes, it always looks like this! (Photo heavy)

My studio...yes, it always looks like this! (Photo heavy)

...because, if I leave fabric out, my kitties just HAVE to get into it!

Moving counterclockwise around the room...

Photo #1. The dresser on the right holds my entire stash. Not much of a stash for having quilted for nearly 30 years. I mostly buy fabric for each project and throw the leftovers in here. I do buy some fabric with no purpose from time to time if I can't live without it.
    This is my Singer 401A, Workhorse. I do most of my creating here. I can watch the birds at the feeder outside the window. Sometimes, there are deer in the wetland across the channel.
    My cutting table is an old double-drop-leaf dining table. I open it all the way when I am basting a quilt.

Name:  003.JPG
Views: 4678
Size:  109.8 KB

Photo #2. The dresser on the right hold office supplies. My copier is on top (covered with UFOs). Thread storage is on the wall on a June Tailor rack and an antique printer's tray. Various quilting stencils, quilting hoops & mats are also on this wall and behind the dresser. My Featherweight is in its case under the cutting table. The red case is for my old Bernina on the other table (you can see this machine better in another photo). I use the Bernina for FMQing exclusively. The table is perfect for holding large quilt sandwiches. Underneath is storage for more UFOs.

Name:  005.JPG
Views: 4665
Size:  124.5 KB

Photo #3. The bookshelves hold my quilting books/magazines and other assorted printed matter. I used to homeschool our 3 children (their HS grad pictures are on the wall), so DH built these shelves for school books 20+ years ago. Now, they're all MINE!
    More UFO storage (I have "a few" UFOs!) and my computer desk (former homeschool teacher desk). The little vintage stool under the desk is a real back saver!

Name:  006.JPG
Views: 4726
Size:  145.8 KB

Photo #4. Here is a shot of the entire studio taken from DH's study across the open stairway (hence the railing in the foreground). You can see the Bernina FMQ station more clearly here. The rocking chair belonged to DH's grandmother. It's nice for handwork when it's not full of stuff...

Name:  004.JPG
Views: 4656
Size:  126.0 KB

Photo #5. I'm including this so that you can see the other side of the room. DH's study/recording studio is on the other side of the stairway from my studio. We can be together without REALLY being together. His computer/recording equipment is on the left. On the right is a large, heavy sound-absorbing curtain on a cable across the room (currently pushed against the wall) that he uses when he is recording something. (He produces a daily radio show that airs locally.) The elliptical machine is here also. We can view the TV above his computer desk while we work out.

Name:  007.JPG
Views: 4672
Size:  130.5 KB

Photo #6. Kitty TV - the view from my picture window. Lenny thinks the birds can't see him if he hides behind the lace curtain. Carly doesn't care whether the birds can see her or not.

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 4656
Size:  134.5 KB

Well, that it! Our little corner of paradise, where we spend the bulk of our time when we're at home.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Your studio is wonderful... from another Hoosier.

Blog Entries
    Looks very cozy!

I see you have a Bernina 830 Record and a Singer 401A. I do also. The Bernina I bought when it was brand new. Love it.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

Thanks, Karen...I'm in Rome City, halfway between Ft. Wayne and South Bend.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

Linda, DH bought me the Bernina off eBay about 3 years ago. I keep it set up for FMQing all the time. I love it, too!
    Cindy

You have a terrific room! Neat that you and hubby have your own places~~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Very nice. I love how you 2 can work so close together. DH and me are together or are close to each other 98% of the time. We are lucky to have 2 hobby rooms. 1 has my other crafts and quilting machine and the other we share, it has all the sewing stuff and fabric. He does leather work and also has a shop out back for all his woodworking stuff. He makes the most beautiful wood turned sculptures. I am so proud of him and wish I had is talents!
    Country1
    Country 1

That is just wonderful, I love spending time with my husband. Our computers are in the same room. My sewing room is all the way across the house, but we "visit" each other often.

Lenny and Carly are so cute, Kola watches Kitty TV also. So much so she has three different channels (windows) she watches....lol
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Lovely studio, looks very inviting and cozy.
    Deanne Ellen

Quilts,Books,and Wine,Oh My!

What a wonderful space! It's fun to see where others do their creating. I love my old 401 also. Even though I have a higher end Pfaff, I still like to use my 401. I see your cats take over your space like my dogs take over mine. Thanks for showing your pics.

Your space is VERY nice and neat. I love that the furnishing have some memories attached. What is it with cats and fabrics?

And I am VERY jealous of the cardinals on your feeder. Ours refuse to use the feeder (specially purchased for them) and prefer to feed on the ground.

Thank you all for the kind comments.

CMW - Actually, the birds are purple finches (can't see them very well in the photo), although we do get quite a few cardinals as well. They prefer the downstairs feeder.

"I love that the furnishing have some memories attached."
    To follow up on this comment...my 401A (used) was a high school graduation gift from my parents in 1980. The cabinet is sits in was given to me by a friend a couple of years ago.
    I bought the cutting table when our oldest DD was a baby (she is now 28) and we used it in our kitchen for quite a few years. All the chairs that came with it fell apart one by one...the glue dried out due to their proximity to our wood burning stove.
    The dresser in the corner was my mom's.
    The Bernina cabinet I purchased at my neighbor's garage sale many years ago. It had been painted a burnt orange color, but I stripped it and covered it with tung oil.
    We bought the computer desk (nee teacher desk) new at an unfinished furniture store probably 25 years ago or so and I finished it myself...we actually purchased quite a few items this way over the years. My whole house is pretty eclectic.
    Cindy

Great studios, its nice that you and your hubby can each do your own hobby and still be 'together'.

Nice space! Thanks for sharing.

Never thought to use a type case as a thread rack. Going to get mine out of storage right now!

Fantastic room! Everything seems to have a place especially your quilt police who can check out all of it! I like that there are so many memories for you. Nice sewing space.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Great studio!!!!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful spaces (and your cool little companions). We like to be together too...so we have a similar thing going...though on ground level with two big windows overlooking the garden...we also share our space with two cats and two dogs. Love your eclectic look and how each piece has it's story. Great way to furnish a real home.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful space with us!

A nice large room, great for making quilts.

Smack dab between Dallas and Tyler, Texas
    Dreamy, congratulations on having the creative space. Love the footstool & rocker in the room, great touches.
    Enjoy the day, Chickadee_42us

It is a perfect space for quilting, with so much ambiance and warmth in it. I love, love, love it. I own 15 different sewing machines, including the Bernina 830 which I bought new in 1974 with a loan from our credit union. Each sewing machine has a purpose and a reason for why I own it, and my antique treasure is an industrial Singer Sewing Machine with a tiny oval face plate of Feb 20, 1899 on it.....it looks like a giant sized antique singer sewing machine.....and I have learned to free motion quilt on it. The best source of sewing machines is www.shopgoodwill.com where I find treasures for almost no money, and restore the machines.
    Kathy Bonafede in Colorado

Looks like a great place to spend your time!! We bought our first boat in Rome City. I am in Fort Wayne.

Blog Entries
    Very nice (fore the 2 of you) layout.
    Love the kitties.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

What wonderful spaces!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast