Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
It is okay if you don't have a stash... >

It is okay if you don't have a stash...

It is okay if you don't have a stash...

Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 AM

Two weeks I started the long process of cleaning and re organizing my sewing room...I had reached a point awhile back were certain things in my life did not matter. I have taken control again and have decided to " clean my home, my health and clean my life". And I am excited.
I did not start out to collect a stash, it happened over years of sewing. But it became overwhelming, and brought on depression. I had so many projects I wanted to do, but the mess just got in the way. I have not bought any "stash" fabric for almost 3 years. I only buy fabrics if I need something for a specific project AND 2/3 of the project fabrics HAVE to come from the stash.
I have spent the last week, cleaning, honest de cluttering. I took bins and bags and marked them as keep, donate, trash. Yesterday I donated two 55 gallon trash bags of no-longer-loved fabrics to a local charity. It was scary but so satisfying. I know someone will love them again. They are scheduled for another pick up in two weeks, I plan on donating at least 2 to 3 more bags, if not more.
As I am sorting, I am folding and organizing by color and style. This may change, but it is a start. Today I have wire shelving being set up and I will start putting my stash out. I want to see what I have...no more stuffed into boxes...that should be a constant reminder. Hubby has been so helpful and understanding. He did not understand how I was feeling, but joined me last evening by moving boxes for me. He said nothing about the amount, only that he hoped that what I give away become a joy of giving, and my new room should be inspiring.
He took some measurements too, saying he had a surprise for me. Something to do with thread because he asked for an extra spool of embroidery thread and asked how many I had and how many more I needed to have the entire color line. !?!?!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:16 PM

I definitely have a stash. I am planning to shop from my stash until most of it is gone. I see really wonderful fabrics, etc., but I have decided not to buy unless I am working on a specific quilt and absolutely cannot find anything in my stash that will work. I am with some of the rest of you here, space is sometimes better than stash, for me, anyway.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:24 AM

What a difference a day makes! My room is half done. I worked last night until almost 11pm and I am exhausted. But it is really starting to look like a real sewing studio. I have a large cutting island being put in today. I did wire shelving last night. I started to fill the shelves, just to get some of the stuff moved. I drew up as sort of blue print of what goes where. I had to work in sections, because this was so overwhelming. I walked in this morning and just smiled. I feel accomplished, and it's not even finished!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:03 AM

you are correct most of the time when you make a quilt what you need is not in your stash.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 PM

I have a stash and I love it! I fell in love with quilting because of all the beautiful fabrics and I love bringing them home! I am one of those that when I pick a project I love being able to go to my stash and pull out as many of the fabrics as I can. The thing I find is when you look at a fabric individually you might think you wouldn't have a use for it, but when you have a project picked out, all of a sudden you look at those fabrics in a whole new light!

And I also haven't been working for the last 8 months and having a stash to pull from has been a godsend financially! I just wish I lived close enough to shop at the thrift stores that some of you gals are sending your fabrics too Lol!