Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Arrow hydraulic chair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/arrow-hydraulic-chair-t307544.html)

Mazo 10-20-2019 12:26 PM

Arrow hydraulic chair

I’m still working on my area and trying to make it great. The Arrow hydraulic sewing chair is really cute, but is it worth it? Is there a big difference between it and an office chair other than the storage under the seat? Thanks again.

QuiltinMama 10-20-2019 03:12 PM

I have the older chair ( not hydraulic) but love it!! It hits my back at just the right spot. I have back issues. So this is great but does a local shop have one for u to sit on?

Mazo 10-20-2019 03:43 PM

[QUOTE=QuiltinMama;8316010]I have the older chair ( not hydraulic) but love it!! It hits my back at just the right spot. I have back issues. So this is great but does a local shop have one for u to sit on]

Unfortunately, I don’t have a shop nearby to try it out.

peaceandjoy 10-20-2019 05:33 PM

The problem with a lot of general office (task) chairs is that they do not support over 175-ish pounds for the long term. Until I retired, I was a secretary in a high school office, and over the course of 30 years bought a lot of chairs for teachers and support staff.

The specs for this chair say up to 250 lbs., which leads me to believe it is better made than many of the chairs that are out there and at $299 it is less expensive than lots of chairs that are rated for that weight. I have (and love) a
Sew Heavenly chair. It's basically as expensive as a piece of furniture but I don't expect I will ever need to replace it. I also opted for the higher shaft, so that I can raise it to a higher level than the standard (my table is a bit higher than I would prefer, and every other chair has been uncomfortable).

My concern with the Arrow chair is also a feature I love - the storage under the seat. I think that the square frame that the seat is built over makes me wonder if it would press against the back of your legs? I normal chair is kind of rounded or waterfall design to prevent this.

It's unfortunate that you can't try before you buy. It does have good reviews on Amazon, and free returns with Prime... One reviewer said overpriced for what you get, but I think that is a person who may not understand how the hydraulics work, or perhaps is small enough that it isn't a concern.

Long story short - I think that if you purchase from a a site that allows easy and free return, it's worth a try!

QuiltnNan 10-21-2019 03:27 AM

I've been using $30 task chairs for 30 yrs or so. Have not had to replace them due to damage; and i'm definitely not light-weight. They are dingy looking and am looking into covering them with some sewing themed fabric.

Karamarie 10-21-2019 04:10 AM

I have and use for sewing my first office chair from my first job out of high school 54 years ago. Have used it all these years either at a desk or at my sewing machine. The business moved and sold those chairs to employees for $5 a piece. They don't make them like that anymore.

Mazo 10-21-2019 02:54 PM

A million thanks to everyone. I’m going to go with the office chair type that says it can hold 250 pounds like the Arrow does. That save me a few dollars to spend somewhere else... maybe will make a cute cover for it.

tranum 10-21-2019 06:23 PM

My chair is a cloth office chair that came from a Humane Society garage sale. I paid $1.00 and love how comfortable it is. No plans to replace it.

Ellen 1 10-21-2019 07:29 PM

I have had an office chair since 2000 +/-. It finally broke about a year ago. I went and bought another office chair.....then....my husband and neighbor fixed the original chair. Now I have a “guest chair” for when my husband comes down to see what I am doing or to bring me a taste of whatever he is making. :-)

I have sat in the “expensive” quilt store “quilting chairs”. I would not pay that kind of money. I do not find those chairs comfortable.

I should be fixed with a chair for the rest of my life now, having 2 chairs. :-)

SuzzyQ 10-28-2019 05:26 PM

If you can find an older office chair, it will be more durable than anything you can buy now. I have a $300 manager's chair that needs a new cylinder after 8 months. And when the store put it together they did not give me the factory warranty. My older chair had a five year warranty that let me replace the cylinder and the star base every year. And it only cost me $99 - on sale and assembled.