Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Attic sewing rooms with slanted ceilings...pls share! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/attic-sewing-rooms-slanted-ceilings-pls-share-t230649.html)

Sandygirl 09-20-2013 05:31 AM

Attic sewing rooms with slanted ceilings...pls share!

I love my sewing space but there are no vertical (walls) to put shelves on or even incorporate bookshelves. the ceiling is pitched. Anyone have the same challenge? IF you have already shown your space, please post the link because I would love to see your storage ideas.thanks

Country1 09-20-2013 08:55 PM

Wish I could help, have never had this problem. Good luck I know when you get it all figured out you enjoy your new space!

quiltingcandy 09-20-2013 10:48 PM

My bedroom growing up had a slanted ceiling. Luckily it was just one direction, So there was wall space between the door and the closet - i had my desk there and book shelves over my desk. After I moved out my folks put in additional book shelves on one wall and just changed the length of the shelves to meet the slope of the ceiling. Unfortunately we sold the house after my mother passed away in 2009, so cannot send a picture. My dad had designed a paper holder - he did water color painting and had a dresser with thin wide drawers made to hold his paper - it looked like a map holder, and it went in the area where the ceiling sloped. You still had to be careful not to hit your head on the ceiling, I am 5'9" and my dad was 6'2", but it worked well, and I could see how drawers would work for you. I had put my dresser in the area too. Had to make the best of the area.

Not knowing how your room looks, and how big it is, it is hard to say if it will work. There was a show once about making use out of the sloping ceiling area, unusable space is how they referred to it. On the show they made the space into a closet, by putting a wall out to a comfortable area, and then put a couple doors in it to get to the storage area. On the wall facing out to the room they put cubbies. But one could put shelves. They were designing the the area on TV for a kid's room.

amyjo 09-21-2013 12:08 AM

go to New Cabinets for my stash by Marcia. her ceiling was sloped and her dh made cabinets for her. very nice.

Sandygirl 09-21-2013 02:18 AM

Actually I have been in my space for 8 years. Marcia's new cabinets made me drool! I am always looking for new ideas.

sandy

jcrow 09-21-2013 06:04 AM

Couldn't you put a design wall on a one of the walls?

Doughgirl 09-21-2013 06:21 AM

We live in a 1 1/2 story house and how I wish my room was as large as Marcia. I have taken over the 1/2 story sorry I don't know how to post pictures but I use a wardrobe on one end of the room and I have mismatched dressers to store my stash in. Not the prettiest but it is all my space.

craftygater 09-21-2013 08:45 AM

I used the closed maid shelving system. Some with doors some with cubes. I just bought the different sizes and stacked up as far as I could. I put small things on the top (baskets, bowls, boxes, etc). the lower one in the middle (the 9 hole cube on its side) has a small 22" TV on it. It sits out far enough that just touches the ceiling. Onthe other side I used an old dresser with more closet maid on top. The open 2 shelfs. I have my fabric stored on these. i have been meaning to take pictures. If I get time tomorrow I will post some.

mjsylvstr 09-22-2013 04:37 AM

When our son was school age, he wanted his own room and the only available one was the attic.with pitched ceilings.....
his bed had the legs removed, his dresser went from 4 drawers to three and his comfy chair became a low-to-the-floor seating..but he loved it and so did all his buddies........

this doesn't solve your problem but just wanted to show you that there are solutions to all.....

Kris P 09-22-2013 05:08 AM

our fist house was 1 1/2 stories. We chose the upstairs for our bedroom. My DH made built in dressers to fit in the knee walls. It was a great way to use up the space behind the walls, leaving more space in the room.