Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Basement Sewing Rooms (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/basement-sewing-rooms-t198401.html)

WA Vet 08-23-2012 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinglady-1 (Post 5462485)
When I read your post and then noticed where you live, of course the first thing that popped into my mind was of course earthquakes. I'm weird that way. lol

I have lived in California for 27 years and NEVER worry about earthquakes. I have only experienced short - minor to intermediate quakes during all these years. You are too funny! However, it is always interesting to see how people from other states view California.

captlynhall 08-23-2012 06:12 PM

Being in Texas, I have never seen a basement. But I do have to have windows to see out. Each morning I go about the entire house and open all the blinds to let the light in. I think I would get claustrophobic in an enclosed room. My house isn't large enough for a dedicated sewing room, so I have commandeered our guest room for setting up my quilt frames, they straddle the guest bed, and a card table set up against the wall holds my sewing machine. When I need to iron and cut, I use a table in my utility room. I get great light there as the back door exits that roon and it has a glass storm door on it. This also enables (forces) me to get up and down frequently when I am piecing which is better than setting for long hours at a stretch. I hope your basement works out for you.

Oksewnsew 08-23-2012 07:53 PM

Would it be possible to put another 'room' in the basement, and you take one of the rooms upstairs for your sewing room? Just a thought...

Originally Posted by WA Vet (Post 5460722)
Yes, this is my worry as I too want to be with everyone.

WA Vet 08-23-2012 08:06 PM

It appears that everything is possible. DH is looking at building a shop with an attached quilting studio. :thumbup:

Just Me... 08-24-2012 03:06 AM

My longarm studio is in the basement....sewing studio is on the main floor. I am blessed with huge windows in both. What I prefer about the basement is that there is more wall space to hang finished projects and keep me inspired and surrounded by the things I love!

Pieces2 08-24-2012 04:22 AM

You may need a dehumidifier in a basement sewing room. Probably let it run for a few weeks before moving in a sewing room. Probably a carpet for the floor for warmth.

CindyA 08-24-2012 04:35 AM

I would recommend making sure there is no dampness. I knew a lady whose sewing machine started getting rusty because of a closed in damp basement. I don't know what metal the internal parts of machines are made of.

Sophie2 08-24-2012 04:43 AM

I have had my sewing room in our basement for 5 years and just love it. I painted the walls a soft yellow and have good lighting in the ceiling. (No windows) I have speakers from the "Man Cave" area so I can listen to the CD's whenever I want. I always sew my bindings on by hand, so I do that when I am in the main living space with DH. I love being able to just shut the door and not worry about my organized mess! I hope you love your sewing room no matter where you put it.

craftymatt2 08-24-2012 07:14 AM

Mine is in the basement and i love love love it, no one will bother me, but its just me and the hubbs anyway, he installed a bunch of flouresent lights for me, and i do have two windows, i would say the basement is about 3/4 underground and is very dry. I like it to because in the summer its the coolest place to be and in the winter is the warmest, even the floor, which has no carpert, but i like it that way. And all the room in the world.

fayeberry 08-24-2012 07:23 AM

I had a basement sewing space in my last house and loved it. No worry about cleaning up - ever! and the dogs liked to hang out with me there. Though I had a window, added one big florescent light over head, and it was fine. I use an upstairs bedroom now, but it's carpeted and I really prefer the basement spot.