Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Bed risers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/bed-risers-t246987.html)

Terri D. 05-19-2014 09:30 AM

Sewnoma: I found my bed risers at Bed Bath & Beyond. They are 4-3/8" square and are approximately 3-1/2" tall.

Antdebby1 05-19-2014 11:21 AM

I use my parents old kitchen table as my cutting table. I have used the plastic bed risers with much success!

Sewnoma 05-19-2014 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Terri D. (Post 6722897)
Sewnoma: I found my bed risers at Bed Bath & Beyond. They are 4-3/8" square and are approximately 3-1/2" tall.

Thanks Terri! Those sound not much smaller (narrower) than what I have now, unfortunately...

PVC, though....that is a great idea! Both of the tables I have on risers have tapered legs, so PVC pipes just might do the trick! Genius!! Now I need to go find out how big around my table legs are and head on down to the home supply store...

caspharm 05-19-2014 02:01 PM

I have been to quilt shops where they use the plastic ones and I found wooden ones that I attached to a clearance dining room table. Both work well. That said, you can also use PVC pipe and make your own. I'm sure there is a thread here that tells how, or just look them up on the internet.

ManiacQuilter2 05-19-2014 02:14 PM

I have them under my bed. Just bought some 8" ones to give me the height room for my storage tubes. I had 6" ones. I bought mine at BB&B.

Michellesews 05-20-2014 04:47 AM

I teach a sewing class ay my house every Sat am. I use bed risers under a folding table to raise it for cutting and it works wonderfully. We do the same thing at retreats. The weight of the table keeps them in place, if concerned you could glue rubber matting to the bottom of the risers, but I have not done this and mine sit on ceramic tile with no problems at all. Go for it! Your back will thank you!
Michelle

Debbie C 05-20-2014 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant (Post 6721540)
Hi, all!

We're in the process of finishing our basement and I'm moving my quilting stuff down there (yay, me!). I have a kitchen table donated to me from my SIL that will be my cutting/pressing table, but it's about five inches too low. I've seen here that people use bed risers to raise their cutting tables. If you use them, do you like them? My biggest question is are they sturdy enough?

Thanks for for any info!

I have been using bed risers on my cutting table for a long time. They are very stable and brought my standard dining table to perfect cutting height! I was lucky enough to find a box of them on clearance at Kohl's for $4.00!!

farmquilter 05-20-2014 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Terri D. (Post 6722897)

A 4x4 post could work, drill a hole in the table leg and the center of post then glue a dowel to hold them together.
If using the PVC pipe-put a piece of wood inside the pipe to stop the leg from going too deep.

orchidsews 05-20-2014 12:43 PM

I also use them, I have a stool I keep close by and works out perfect

Sewnoma 05-21-2014 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter (Post 6724457)
A 4x4 post could work, drill a hole in the table leg and the center of post then glue a dowel to hold them together.
If using the PVC pipe-put a piece of wood inside the pipe to stop the leg from going too deep.

4x4 is still bigger than I'd like. Every inch is precious!

I am thinking the PVC will work great - I'm thinking I can drill through the pipe and put a bolt through it for the leg to sit on. If I size things properly the nut won't stick out too far and I can put it facing inwards so it won't scrape me. If I get really creative I could drill holes at regular intervals and make the pipes adjustable height but I don't think I need to go that far. Put a cap on the bottom with some felt to protect my faux wood floors and I THINK I'll be all set!

I think that's going to be a project for me to work on this weekend. :)