Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Best places to get tables etc for quilting space. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/best-places-get-tables-etc-quilting-space-t231532.html)

Julie in NM 10-03-2013 05:20 AM

I found the perfect table at the thrift store. WHEN and I mean WHEN I get my sewing room back, it will be perfect extention to the right of my sewing maching cabinet.

Hint..when shopping take meauring tape. Know the size you are looking for to make sure it will fit into your overall plan.

roserips 10-03-2013 11:57 AM

I have used a lot of different tables and shelves for my room. I really like old desks, they are heavy solid wood well built and do not vibrate. I have found them at thrift stores, garage sales and Craigslist. Draw your room out on paper and decide what you really have room for and what you really need. I love my heavy duty industrial shelves I got those from my Mom and wish I knew where to get more. They are adjustable come in different widths and are very versatile. I also have several book shelves that I mount on the wall like kitchen cabinets that are handy and not to wide. Have fun setting up your space!

Suz 10-03-2013 02:05 PM

You can use a pingpong table as well as hollow core doors. You can also purchase risers to elevate and accommodate your height. The risers are also used to elevate the head of the bed for GERD people. Horses can be made easily with a clamp set and a few pieces of lumber from the big box stores.

Years ago I purchased a 5' x 9' x 3/4" plyboard. It was a special order for this size. At the time I was making window treatments and bedspreads and need the extra size to accommodate 60" fabrics. It is elevated by horses, padded and wonderful to iron large pieces of fabric, etc. Quilting friends call and make arrangements to use the table to baste the layers together of full sized quilts.

beckya81 10-03-2013 05:47 PM

I love the island idea. Looks like it is a great height for cutting. I have Ikea and have been happy with it.

raspberryparade09 10-06-2013 07:20 PM

I have an old Steelcase desk. It's very sturdy and large sewing surface.

jlm5419 10-06-2013 08:54 PM

My main sewing table is an 8' table from office depot. Plenty of room for cutting and sewing.

tessagin 10-10-2013 06:57 AM

love this idea

Lhayla 10-20-2013 03:58 PM

I am going to buy 4 inexpensive book shelves, and make a square out of them. Then some sort of table top.

cowgirlquilter 10-27-2013 06:05 AM

Wow what a great idea!!!!!!

DebbE 10-27-2013 08:44 AM

Bought an inexpensive 'harvest' style table on Craigslist for $30 - and DH cut out the opening & made a below table support so I could slip my Husqvarna machine in, so now I sew level to the table. What a difference! I've seen these tables even cheaper, but when I wanted one it was the best price we could find.