Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Better lighting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/better-lighting-t225997.html)

ShirlinAZ 07-18-2013 07:30 AM

Make sure your fluorescent tubes are "daylight" tubes. They will give you both the truest colors and relieve the blahs (blues) that come from a lack of sunlight.

damaquilts 07-18-2013 11:36 AM

I vote for the daylight bulbs. They are the only bulb I use now. I can see much better too . In my old sewing room I had the kind of lights I could reposition. Track lighting I think its called.

petthefabric 07-18-2013 12:33 PM

Not only light but movement of air and the noise of the wind in the trees makes me feel more open.

Daylight bulbs and ones that don't put off much heat. Daylight is a cool white, not warm white. So for the walls, I'd suggest very light taupe, rather than cream.

The ambient light is important: this is general lighting reflecting off the ceiling (it must be light to reflect light). Then there's task lighting which would be over the work stations. Sounds like you have task lighting. Maybe you need more general lighting.

IrishgalfromNJ 07-19-2013 05:00 AM

Mirrors reflect light and make rooms lighter.

skothing 07-19-2013 03:07 PM

I redid the whole thing down stairs . I called and electrician and went with his advise of cannon lights and special lighting. We used bulbs that was nature lighting. I divided the switches to work in half on 1 circuit and the next half on the another switch. Then brought in a drywaller to do the walls. Then the floating floor was put down.

yorkie luv 07-19-2013 05:33 PM

I have taken the funnel shaped shop clip on lights and hung them on a free standing coat rack. I can move them around as needed. You can get the daylight bulbs to put in them. I also have a good desk lamp with a goose neck, on my cutting/sewing table that I move around as needed. I find that them older I get, the more light I need.

blueheavenfla 07-20-2013 11:49 PM

I also sew in a semi underground area (one small window that doesn't open). We recently replaced the 2 fluorescent tubes in the light above my sewing machine with 2 tubes that contain LED lights and oh my, are they ever bright. I still have the fluorescents above my cutting table, iron and under the shelving above my counter space. You wouldn't believe the difference...cooler, cheaper to use, long life, BUT $$$$

Originally Posted by Cagey (Post 6181861)
My sewing room is in the basement and does not have good lighting. My DH put flourescent lights in the ceiling, one over my sewing table, on over the ironing board, and one over the table where I do my cutting. It still feels dark to me - I think I crave natural light!. I've tried painting the walls a bright color. Anyone have some suggestions for more natural lighting?

Rose S. 07-23-2013 05:34 AM

One thing to consider when buying fluorescent lights is the lumens...the higher the number, the more light it gives off. I had wondered for years what the difference was in fluorescent lights so finally thought to google it. I always go for the higher number.

BellaBoo 07-24-2013 07:11 AM

I'd move a bedroom to the basement and take over the bedroom. When someone is asleep it doesn't matter if the room is dark. As I told my kids when I took over the den for my sewing room and they didn't like it at all, it's your home but it is my house. They never got the den back.

Mousie 07-24-2013 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ (Post 6185033)
Mirrors reflect light and make rooms lighter.

this was my thought exactly...light colors, lattice, true-light bulbs and LOTS of mirrors all over. Mirrored tiles are fantastic and I line my cabinets with tin foil to protect fabrics and to reflect light. Good luck!