Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Comfort on concrete floor (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/comfort-concrete-floor-t222942.html)

darlenedowns 06-04-2013 05:02 AM

WOW listening to all you people here is something. I have a total knee which I later broke the femur bone on that leg so now it houses a pin to my hip as well. The other knee is starting to give me trouble. Besides that I have a pinched nerve in my lower back. I have to go barefooted around the house in which I to have concrete floors with tile and standing on those gel mats are not for me at all I guess it really does depend on the individual after all. Even shoes with arches are bad for me I have to take them out or not buy. I did love the crocs but since my back problem I had to give them up. You guys are wonderful here and I am addicted to the board
Good luck to you what ever you choose to do

mjhaess 06-04-2013 05:22 AM

My girlfriend got a nice mat from Costco..It is big enough and very comfortable. She paid under 30 dollars for it...

Grandma Nancy 06-04-2013 06:14 AM

Crocs definitely make a difference.

damaquilts 06-04-2013 02:27 PM

I broke down and bought some Clarks most comfortable shoe I have ever had on my feet. But for me going barefoot is normal I have done it all my life so as soon as I walk in the house the shoes come off.

GailG 06-04-2013 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6102558)
This works and I know it sounds crazy but it you change out your shoes through out the day. I have shoes that have a wedge (approx. 2" high in back and 1/2-3/4 in front). I worked in salons with concrete floors for over 35 years from 10-12 hours+ 5 days a week and on the deceased in between. Changing shoes throughout the day makes a difference takes pressure off the feet from being in one position on consistent basis. The flat ones like ballerina slippers are the worst. I never stand in my barefeet for a long period of time. If you do sit down for a few minutes and can put your feet up for at least 10-15 minutes every couple hours do that. Those thong sandals (flip flops(?)are as bad as the ballerina slippers.

I agree. And I'd invest in a good pair of athletic shoes (we call them tennis shoes around here). Get something with a good walking inner sole that has good support. Most of my 33 years of teaching was done on medium to high heels or with pointed-toed flats. RUINED MY FEET AND MY BACK. We worked on terrazo floors. I've learned to wear tennis shoes most of the time because of a bad heel. Now I have a hard time sewing in my socks like I used to do it.
I've never worn Crocks but they seem to be so uncomfortable. I know I have trouble walking in backless shoes and the flip flop types.

BTW, I love the idea of propping your feet up occasionally. Good luck with your floors and enjoy that sewing space.

JBeamer 06-04-2013 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6102522)
I think before tackling the floor issue I would invest In a good pair of Crocs. Not the new versions Crocs but the clunky, ugly ones with the great cushioning. My Crocs are the first thing I put on my feet in the morning and the last thing I take off at bedtime. If I leave the house, I put on my loafers as I don't like to be seen in public with my Crocs on.:D

I love my Crocs. Wear them out in public. It's my feet and my life. If other people don't like them, oh well.

Mornigstar 06-04-2013 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom (Post 6102717)
I live in my Crocs...I finally have a new knee and those are the only shoes I use. Other knee is a pain, too...

Haven't worn crocs since I bought special shoes to go to hospital for left knee replacement last July. Other knee giving me pain too especially since April. May try my crocs again.
Seems like so many have knee pain. Was it always like this or are we just living longer ?????

Pepita 06-04-2013 08:51 PM

Big lots had some mats that had edges that fit together, and package of 4 wasn't very expensive--I think $25. or less. I wear Z coils. I know they are expensive, but they take 50% of the impact of every step etc. off your body. They last too. They are really ugly, but you won't care, they are that comfortable.

elizajo 06-08-2013 04:32 AM

Glad this topic came up because I've been thinking about trying something different for cooking. For my plantar fasciitis and lower back pain I must wear shoes with supportive arches. I have high arches and need width across the toes, which limit the brands I can buy. I really like the cushioning on Alegrias and the looks of Naots, but best of all are Birkenstocks. I can't find athletic shoes anymore that will lace comfortably across my arch and for some reason they make my ankles swell.

My kitchen has slate floor tiles on concrete slab, so when I have long cooking days, I have lots of pain. I don't know what kind of arch support the Crocs have, but I may give them a try. The gel mats are not an option for me due to my daughter's wheelchair. Ultimately if the Crocs don't work, I may have to use a gel mat just for cooking, then put it away .

Trene 06-13-2013 04:31 PM

I have two yoga mats that I put on top of each other in front of my cutting table. just enough cush, and easy to roll up and move out of the way when I need to clean the hardwood!