Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Customized my sewing table! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/customized-my-sewing-table-t274691.html)

Onetomatoplant 01-19-2016 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs (Post 7438402)
This always looks so nice and I would love to do this. But my machine has a bobbin on the front not the top like yours. to get to my bobbin I have to open a little door from the front. Has anyone seen a way to mount one like mine? I wouldn't want to have to lift out my machine every time I need to change my bobbin or just re thread it. Yours turned out great.Thanks Mary

You could do a cutout in front of where your bobbin access is. You could either leave the access open or cut a thin piece of wood the size of the cutout with a hole in the middle (big enough for your finger to be able to pull the wood out) and make a lip around the inside of the cutout to set the lid on. Does that make sense? Or you could hinge the lid, whichever is easier for you.

Onetomatoplant 01-19-2016 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by ctyankee (Post 7438337)
Very nice desk. And I'm sure the machine is at a better height. Mine is still on a table! Did you or hubby do this, or did you get someone into do that for you? Great idea.

I did it. It was pretty easy. I traced an outline of the sewing machine onto my desk and used a jigsaw to cut it out. My original plan was to use that cutout to sit the machine on, but we had some wooden shelves that we'd taken down in our laundry area, so I cut one of those to size instead. The desk originally had a keyboard tray mounted underneath, and I used the existing mounting hardware to attach the shelf.

lawsonmugs 01-19-2016 01:56 PM

You did a great job. I have a wood shop of my own. Nothing fancy. Just a few power tools.Thanks for the suggestion. My sewing table has a edge around it that is about 4" tall. So I think my machine will drop just about the right depth to do as you suggested. I'll have to think this over before cutting up my table. lol

lynnie 01-19-2016 02:00 PM

what a wonderful idea!

zozee 01-19-2016 02:47 PM

Nice job . It's a beautiful sewing table!

Tiggersmom 01-19-2016 04:39 PM

WOW, am I impressed!!! I would like to do something similar but I don't have any experience with tools. DH might help but it rings too much of a "honey do", which aren't his favorite thing.
I bought a used sewing cabinet but my new machine is too large and heavy. I'm not sure if I started cutting it up everything would work. I don't think the laminate cabinets can do as well as real wood.
You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sassylass 01-20-2016 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs (Post 7438402)
This always looks so nice and I would love to do this. But my machine has a bobbin on the front not the top like yours. to get to my bobbin I have to open a little door from the front. Has anyone seen a way to mount one like mine? I wouldn't want to have to lift out my machine every time I need to change my bobbin or just re thread it. Yours turned out great.Thanks Mary

Mary, when customizing the table for your type of machine just leave the front area where your bobbin is open.all you need is that little opening. Now you will have to access it by going underneath it though.
Just a thought..

unclefreckles 01-20-2016 07:52 AM

Nice job! I am almost to get my large embroidery machine set onto an electric lift in my custom made cutting/sewing table. I can hardly wait as I just finished quilting a queen plus quilt and it was a bear to keep where it needed to be due to having to lift it to machine height.

jamsbuying 01-20-2016 09:48 AM

Wonderful setup! Enjoy!!

tessagin 01-20-2016 09:51 AM

Love it. Another reason I love my 401. beautiful desk by the way!!