Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Cutting Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/cutting-room-t265503.html)

Brandi 05-22-2015 04:08 PM

Cutting Room

Does anybody use a outside storage building for sewing or crafts? We got a new storage building and I am getting the one we had it is 12 feet by 24 feet. I want to use it for cutting out quilts and other crafts. I have a big table that I could use for cutting and I have mats. My son is leaving the peg board in there for me. I am going to purchase some vinyl to put down on the floor. I will have electricity put in it when I can afford it. Right now all my sewing/scrapbook stuff is in my bedroom and I have nowhere to spread out and cut. I live with my son and grandkids. Can anybody give me any tips or ideas on this room. I don't plan on putting my sewing machine out there due to high heat in the summer and cold in the winter. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks

quilting mary 05-22-2015 06:03 PM

For lighting you could get a couple flourecent shop lights. The ones that don't need to be hard wired and can run off an extension cord. Just be careful, not to overload the cord or trip over it. You may want to set up shelves for storage that will hold plastic tubs. By using plastic tubs with lids it will keep your fabric and scrapbooking supplies dry, if there is no heat in the winter.

quiltingcandy 05-22-2015 06:18 PM

I don't know why it wouldn't work as long as you aren't storing yard equipment in it (that may create a dirt problem). In fact you have a great storage area under the cutting table. Depending on how far away the structure is from an electrical course, with a long extension cord you could have light and even iron. We bought an outdoor light to use by our Bar-b-que and that thing really lights up the backyard. We used it in the garage once when we wanted a brighter area and it worked great. Also, it wasn't very expensive.

My daughter had to run an electrical cord in her classroom where the kids would be walking, she taped it down (they were going to put the over it but wasn't getting to it) so she bought a carpet runner at Home Depot and put over it. In 2 years no one has tripped over it. Several other teachers have done the same thing since seeing hers.

pocoellie 05-22-2015 06:35 PM

Personally speaking, I would bring electricity in, put some windows in, insulate and use it as my sewing room. It would be a real pain in the rear to use it strictly as a "cutting" room.

Bubbie 05-23-2015 01:02 AM

My dad put the white sheets of foam on the ceiling of my work room (because sometimes the buildings can sweat, it also helps keep some of the heat out when hot and keep some of the heat in when cold). Any thing you have in your shop, I would put in clear plastic bins (you will be able to see what's in the bin, but the weather will not bother it). You can also put a few of the silica packs into your bins, this will help prevent any dampness from starting or building up in your bins. My dad also put shelves from the floor to the ceiling on one wall to help with storage, but being on one wall I had lots of room to have a chair (to sit and plan what I was going to do next or even read), and still get around my table without bumping into everything. Make sure your cutting table is higher than a regular table (this will make cutting so much easier on you). Good luck and enjoy

BETTY62 05-23-2015 01:29 AM

How nice. I would love to have a special place to cut fabric, however, friends and family would think they were at the wrong house if they came over and could see the top of my dining table. LOL

elnan 05-23-2015 12:34 PM

Leah Day www.leahday.com/shed-project/ recently posted photos and discussed the storage building she had brought in, already put together. She even crawled under it and insulated the floors from the outside. Even though you may not have the money to insulate and insure climate control right now, it may be worth your time to read her blog and see how she did it and the reasons for her choices. I grew up in the AR/MS Delta and can understand the challenges you face with extreme swings in the weather. If you don't already have windows, that would be at the top of my list. Ahh, cypress vine and morning glories growing over an arbor outside the window as you sit in your special place and think about the next project...

Brandi 05-23-2015 04:24 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments. Yes I do have two windows in there.

Debbie C 05-23-2015 07:44 PM

Brandi, I'd make every attempt to insulate for summer and winter use. If heat is a problem, you can purchase an Eden Pure Quartz heater. I use them in my basement during colder months. They are extremely economical to run and give a soft, warm cozy heat.

ann31039 05-24-2015 07:36 PM

Space to cut is a wonderful thing. When I was living in an RV I often cut on the picnic table outside. Used to to layer my quilts and even sewed out there some. I think you'll be very happy out there. Maybe eventually you can have your own sewing "house"