Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Designing new sewing studio--have I forgotten anything? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/designing-new-sewing-studio-have-i-forgotten-anything-t174576.html)

conniemaried 01-05-2012 01:02 PM

Designing new sewing studio--have I forgotten anything?

I am new to this website and fairly new to quilting, but for twenty years I was an avid heirloom sewist. We are in the process of making me a dedicated sewing studio in what was a bedroom that's 13'x20'. I have been doing research, and have planned a sewing table that's 4x8, a storage wall of shelves for tote bins (I have a lot of these), stash storage, book cases, design wall, cutting table, and ironing table. What I would like to know is, what have I not thought of? Now is my only chance to re-design if necessary, since there will be so many built-ins. What is the most indespensible part of your studio, and what is on your wish list? I hope you will let me know. Thanks, Connie

hokieappmom 01-05-2012 01:56 PM

Wow, sounds like to me you have it pretty well covered. I LOVE my design wall and don't know what I did without it.
Good luck and be sure to post pictures when you are through.

SoSewSue 01-05-2012 02:18 PM

Lighting ! Lots and lots of lighting -be it lamps or some kind of directional ceiling lights, or both.

The new room sounds like it will be wonderful.

ksdot417 01-05-2012 02:38 PM

I'd be lost without my peg board. It organizes all my rulers and is hung right next to my cutting table.

katybob 01-05-2012 02:59 PM

If you've got room for it, a comfortable chair for when you're doing handwork.

Crqltr 01-05-2012 03:01 PM

Where will you iron?

MaryAnnMc 01-06-2012 05:40 AM

Do you sew to the TV or music? Make sure you have connections for those. I love watching a movie on Netflix if I'm doing something long and boring. Music or a podcast fi I'm at the machine for a while.

Pieces2 01-06-2012 05:41 AM

Sounds like you have a great sewing room planned, great for making quilts. The only change I can think of is so make shelves or install wire bins in the closet for fabric storage. Plastic bins are not suitable for fabric storage, the fabric must breath. Shelves or bins allow better viewing of the fabric and easier to pull fabrics when starting a new project.
Don't forget good lighting, a bookcase for books and patterns

jcrow 01-06-2012 06:03 AM

I agree with all the quilters. But lighting is my biggest friend. I have 11 lights in my quilting room. It makes all the difference in the world. I have 2 wooden hanging ruler holders I can't live without. And I have a disappearing design wall that I put above my closet doors. It's in a wooden case above the doors and when you pull it down, it's like the old fashioned blinds, except they glued flannel to the front. I put my quilt blocks on it as I go and when I need to get into the closet, I just pull on it and it rolls up into its case, with the blocks on it. There is a shelf at the top where you can display anything you want. I see the ad for this "Disappearing Design Wall" in lots of quilt magazines but I bet if you just typed that in to google search, the site would pop up.

karenpatrick 01-06-2012 06:27 AM

Shelving. When you think you have enough, double it! I agree about the lighting too. And plenty of table top space. Can't have too much of that.