Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Disposing of rotary cutter blades (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/disposing-rotary-cutter-blades-t234731.html)

coastienest 11-16-2013 06:23 PM

Great ideas! I am going to take the idea of the lpsharp.com website to our quild meeting and share with the ladies. This is what makes this board the best.

Digitizingqueen 11-17-2013 03:19 PM

I have done this for years also, I peal lables and seal them and toss them...

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 6406601)
My oldest Daughter, also a quilter. Came up with putting old rotary blades in a round used medicine bottle. That is what we do with ours.
We put old needles and bent straight pins in old medicine bottles also.

tinker 11-18-2013 11:40 PM

I keep an extra cutter to use around the house. The old blades are use for cutting cardboard, screenwire, small soft branches, new cutting's and anything else I can come up with. They finnialy end up in a empty quart paint can. I use everything over and over. Tinker

IBQUILTIN 11-23-2013 01:42 PM

To be safe, I put mine in an empty coffee can, and when there is an inch or so, I cover them with plaster of Paris, and when it is set, just toss the block. Nobody can possible get cut that way. A hospice nurse taught me that. They use the idea for Sharps

jquilt214 11-23-2013 08:06 PM

Why are you all wasting rotary blades. There is a gentleman that will take your old blades either in exchange and resharpen them of send you new ones for much less than you can buy them in the stores. I have sent him blades for years and I think they are better and sharper when he sharpens them. if any one wants info let me know. the gentlemans name is L.P Sharp.

cindi 11-24-2013 03:26 AM

I've had a plastic Kraft Parmesan Cheese shaker bottle that I've used for years. It's got the split opening on top (one side for shaking, one side for pouring) that I can lift and drop my rotary blades, rusted or bent pins, and machine needles in. When it's full I just duct-tape the top and throw it in the trash. A bottle usually lasts me 4-5 years.

gemladi 11-28-2013 06:47 AM

I purchased a 59.00 electric blade sharpener and I hardly ever throw them away any longer.
Michelle in Omaha

Originally Posted by loisf (Post 6404824)
You experienced quilters have probably solved this problem long ago, but here is my solution.

Every time I threw away a rotary cutter blade, I would wrap it carefully in paper toweling so my husband or I wouldn't cut ourselves while emptying the trash. Then I found the perfect solution - an empty Ice Breakers mint or candy container. It's the perfect size and the top flips open for easy access. When it's full, I just toss it in the trash. You can buy one in the gum, candy and breath mint section. It would be great for sewing machine needles too.