Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Do you have a better solution? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/do-you-have-better-solution-t181478.html)

Quiltlady330 03-03-2012 07:56 AM

Do you have a better solution?

I have lots and lots of magazines and downloaded patterns and really need to organize and condense them. I have been throwing around the idea of cutting out the patterns and instructions I'm really interested in from the magazines and putting them in notebooks with transparent sleeves and then giving away the magazines to others who might like to read them and then pass them on, too. Does anyone have a better solution to this other than photocopying each pattern?

Tartan 03-03-2012 08:18 AM

I am going to downsize my magazine collection too. I do photo copy intriging quilts and put them in my idea file. I am going to get rid of all my older magazines because styles change and quilting methods too. I will keep my newer Quilter's Newsletter magazines and some of the more up to date ones from other publications.

jeemmerling621 03-03-2012 08:47 AM

I have 3" binders with plastic transparent sleeves that I put patterns in. For magazines, I tear out the patterns that interest me and give the magazines away.

AnitaSt 03-03-2012 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by jeemmerling621 (Post 5027669)
I have 3" binders with plastic transparent sleeves that I put patterns in. For magazines, I tear out the patterns that interest me and give the magazines away.

Me too. I also have some stored only in digital format on my PC, which is way more organized than my notebooks!

I also save the pattern sheets from magazines even if I don't save any of the patterns from an issue. Sometimes I want an applique shape or quilting design and the simple designs on the pattern sheets can be just what I need.

QuiltE 03-03-2012 09:46 AM

Exactly what I've been doing ... so often the magazines have just one or two things I want.
I used to buy a lot of magazine, but am now more scrupulous as I can get so many patterns online for free.

Instead of binders ... I keep patterns and ideas in large envelopes according to category that make sense to me. If the envelope gets too large, then I break it into more envelopes for smaller groups. Eg. Seasonal .... became Winter, Spring/Easter, Valentines, Thanksgiving, etc.

RedGarnet222 03-03-2012 09:46 AM

I just did this exact thing in january. I got rid of three large boxes of unused books, magazines,kits, fabric and patterns to my favorite charity thrift store. I was in thier store last week and there wasn't one of them left to find! I was thrilled they all sold because that charity has a huge pantry that feeds hundreds each month.

I bought all the binders and slipped the patterns and pages in them, but, I haven't taken the time to put the sleeves on the pages as yet. Too busy sewing.... LOL! I do have them all sorted into subjects though. All ten binders worth.

I really need to do this again, my books, patterns and magazines runneth over still!

icon17 03-03-2012 10:05 AM

I would photo copy in color and put in sleeves BUT don't put them on disk! because disk will not last! and some day you may not have a PC to get them on! :)

DonnaR 03-03-2012 12:56 PM

I scan any I am interested in and file in my computer. I organize them by type of pattern and then it make it easy to look at them with the thumbnails and find the one I want. It really helped me with space in my room.

brushandthimble 03-03-2012 06:23 PM

I use to photo copy, now I just tear out the pattern. I hate doing it, but got to costly to photo copy (color), between ink and paper. Also the magazine would hang around and pile up waiting for me to copy. LOL

Narda 03-03-2012 10:31 PM

could you maybe scan them and put them in a quilting folder on your computer