Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   embroidery thread unravels???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/embroidery-thread-unravels-t268977.html)

mrodarme 08-19-2015 05:49 PM

embroidery thread unravels????

how do you keep embroidery thread from coming off the spool while being stored...i have numerous spools that dont seem to have a 'notch' for putting the thread away...i wound up today taking my box of spools to the couch & taking a small piece of tape & taping down all the ends....any ideas?...i dont want the edge of the spool to have stickie stuff, but otherwise ive got a tangled mess...

Misty's Mom 08-19-2015 06:04 PM

I have those small pony tail holders from the dollar store. Works great. I even use them on my bobbins.

Cactus Stitchin 08-19-2015 06:06 PM

I also use a piece of tape but typically use Florianni's pink tape; like blue painters tape but it is much stickier and can be reused several times. I use this tape for my embroidery work as well since it does not leave a residue. It's a great investment at $4.99 a roll.

Bebe2Ten 08-19-2015 07:03 PM

I use Hugo's Amazing Tape. It sticks to itself and leaves no residue. A strip of the tape can be used many times. Betty

Tartan 08-19-2015 07:30 PM

If there is a fair amount of thread on the spool, grasp a little length of thread, bring it to the end of the spool, keep your thumb on the thread attached to the spool, and with the loose end, give it a little tug at the top of the spool. This will bury the thread end along the thread stacked at the end of the spool, just make sure you I leave a little tail out so you can pull it out again when you want to sew.
This works on your bobbins too but I use the clear pieces of hose cut to fit on my bobbins instead.

JeannieT 08-20-2015 03:24 AM

I use thin vinyl cut into 1/4" to 1/2" wide strips , depending on your preference. Walmart sells this pretty cheap in their fabric dept, you get a LOT, and it goes a long way. I use it on regular sewing thread as well. Be sure to get the thin stuff, as they also sell a heavier thickness one. Or you can buy thread nets, but that can get pretty spendy after awhile.

pocoellie 08-20-2015 06:11 AM

I just use a small piece of scotch tape. I use the pony tail thingys for the bobbins.

MaggieLou 08-20-2015 06:21 AM

I use the mesh socks you can buy for slipping over the spools.

ladyinpurple135 08-20-2015 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bebe2Ten (Post 7291474)
I use Hugo's Amazing Tape. It sticks to itself and leaves no residue. A strip of the tape can be used many times. Betty

I also use Hugp's Amazing Tape - well worth it. It can slide off the top of the spool and slide right back on maybe with a slight adjustment depending on how much thread is used. Comes in two widths - so much better even that pony tail holders, etc.

just my humble opinion,
Sandy in Mooresville, NC

mrodarme 08-20-2015 09:28 AM

i have never hear of that hugos amazing tape...where do u get it....hardware store, walmart, paint store...the cheap masking tape is from the dollar store but it doesnt last...it dries out and the thread unravels...but its a temporary solution to the mess...thx for all the advice...