Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Fabric Chaos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/fabric-chaos-t245712.html)

Susan Sendt 04-24-2014 12:35 PM

Fabric Chaos

I am having surgery Monday and afterwards will not be able to lift anything. So my goal is to get my fabric organized so I can sew during my recovery.

I started in a 10x10 room which was my office prior to my retirement. Well, with an embroidery machine, 2 sewing machines and a serger, I quickly ran out of room. So I have now expanded to an adjacent room where I can store my fabric and use this area to cut. So here are some before and after pictures. Enjoy! And any suggestions are welcomed and encouraged.

I can't figure out how to attach pictures. Can someone tell me how?

luvTooQuilt 04-24-2014 03:40 PM

you prob need to resize them- theres a limit in size.. ... then try and upload agian..

Susan Sendt 04-26-2014 01:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics of room #1. At least you know I am [ATTACH=CONFIG]473110[/ATTACH]being honest ![ATTACH=CONFIG]473108[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]473109[/ATTACH] These baskets have fat quarters and fabric less than 1/2 yard. Still working on them!

Susan Sendt 04-26-2014 01:23 PM

Pictures of room #2

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the room where I have put most of my fabric on comic book boards. I ran out (400) so I have ordered another 200! Hope that's all I need

![ATTACH=CONFIG]473114[/ATTACH] The hanging organizer holds tops ready to quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]473112[/ATTACH] My cutting area. The bins under the table are filled with flannel. Think it's DESTASH time?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]473111[/ATTACH] Not finished yet. Waiting on more boards.

I am open to any suggestions on how to complete this reorganization project.

tessagin 04-26-2014 02:23 PM

I was in a hurry one day and wanted to get some material folded. I hadn't purchased the comic boards yet. I just took my material and folded in stacks of like colors that were less than 1/2 yard then those up to a yard. Anything over was a separate stack. I put reds and pinks together, blues and purples, and greens and yellow. Brown had it's stack and also black. Navy blue went with the blues and purples. Sending prayers your way for a speedy recovery!

coastienest 04-26-2014 06:41 PM

Looking good so far, but I think you would realize a little more organization if you arranged your fabric by color or maybe even collections if you have them. I know once In did that in my room, it sort of soften things a bit and made for some great eye candy. Hope this helps a bit. Wishing you speedy recovery.

zozee 04-26-2014 07:57 PM

You haveer made GREAT progress! Wow! Where did you get the white drawer unit? I really like those. As you start putting more fabric on boards, it probably would be easier to group them in a ROYGBIV-ly way. But your variety has a certain "pop" to it, too.

Susan Sendt 04-29-2014 03:11 AM

The white shelf on the wall is custom built by my husband. The other drawer and shelf units are sold at Target. Each piece is individual so you can stack into any grouping. These used to be in my nursery for grand babies. Now, quilting.

pocoellie 04-29-2014 07:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I ruler fold my fabrics and have them in drawers, according to background color, but in your case I would stand the comic boards/fabrics up, instead of down, then organize by colors.

whimsy4me2 04-29-2014 03:24 PM

What are comic boards?