Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Fabric Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/fabric-organization-t275009.html)

catsden 01-26-2016 10:08 AM

Fabric Organization

Since I have joined a guild, I have been able to use fabric from my stash :thumbup: BUT because I have it stored in boxes, dresser etc. I am constantly having to dig. Well, yesterday I decided to refold and store on shelves like in the fabric store. OMG! what a mess I have gotten myself into. I thought this would only take a couple of days, HA! Don't get me wrong, I am not really complaining. Just didn't think I had so much fabric :rolleyes: Anyway, can't wait until I get it all done and can just look on the shelves for fabric instead of digging thru boxes and drawers.

equigle5 01-26-2016 10:12 AM

I know what you mean! It is nice when folded and on shelves. I used to have it so neat and folded, then I started a few projects and my mom gave me a bunch of scraps and pieces. I'm still digging out!

ManiacQuilter2 01-26-2016 11:03 AM

My problem is after making a quilt, I got to refold everything back into the drawer. YUCK!!

Tartan 01-26-2016 11:12 AM

A big job but you will so glad you did it. I have all my fabric on boards in a cupboard. I can see at a glance what I have.

Sandra in Minnesota 01-26-2016 11:22 AM

Fortunately, I moved in May and had to down-size. Everything is either on bolts or in plastic-labeled tubs. Now, I just can't touch it, or it will be all over, again!

Kris P 01-27-2016 06:11 AM

The vast majority of my stash is 1 yard or less. Mostly half yard cuts. For this reason, I ruler fold it and stand them all on end in the drawers of my 4 drawer dresser. (Think Konmari method for fabric.) I arrange them by color, just like the fabric store. One drawer is all the larger pieces (2yds +) one is all flannel, one for regular prints and one for solids, batik & novelty. In addition to the dresser, I also have a curio cabinet with an open face where I display fat quarters. I prefer to have my stash under cover. Seeing it all at once is overstimulating for me.

Sew Freak 01-27-2016 06:15 AM

Catsden, you have motivated me bit! I have been procrastinating on rearranging my craft room where a lot of my stash is stored....it has gotten a bit out of control....need to tame the beast!

quiltstringz 01-27-2016 07:12 AM

Whatever method you use to organize I highly recommended that you measure each piece and mark it somehow with the yardage. When we reorganized I did this (punched hole in the comic book board and put a tag through it). Now when I need a fabric not only can I see it but I know right away if there is enough

selm 01-27-2016 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 7447241)
Whatever method you use to organize I highly recommended that you measure each piece and mark it somehow with the yardage. When we reorganized I did this (punched hole in the comic book board and put a tag through it). Now when I need a fabric not only can I see it but I know right away if there is enough

I started ruler folding my fabric and wrote the yardage on the selvedge with a permanent marker. I didn't get too far though as we moved and I still haven't organized the fabric after helpers unpacked the boxes and just put the fabric wherever they could find space on shelves and in cabinets.

tessagin 01-27-2016 08:17 AM

There are a lot of videos for the KonMari method of organization. One thing I did and took awhile to get through his skull (DH's) throw/recycle manuals for appliances and anything else we "did not'' have. Why keep it. The appliance is no longer with us. We put an a/c on the curb and he looked at me like I was crazy for putting the manual inside a plastic Ziploc and attaching it. We did not need the manual. It relieved our file cabinet of almost 10# of worthless paper. I did go through some fabric and got him to the sewing machine by putting some fabric not crazy about in a basket and he just grabs it sews up couple doggie beds. he does the birthing method. That's ok. He has cleaned my 401 5 times in the last 2 weeks. each time he gets to the machine. I use the comic boards and I use my cutting mat as a guide to fold also and punched a hole then used a tag to mark how much yardage is on it. Less than a yard but more than a fat quarter get put with the fat quarters and is noted.