Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   fabric storage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/fabric-storage-t172615.html)

michelehuston 12-23-2011 06:01 AM

milate has wonderful fabric boards for sale here!! I have gotten several from her and they have freed up so much space for me!!! Might want to check them out! I decided to try something cheap...didn't work at all!! Went back to milate because the are a great item and good price as well!! i am alos on very fixed budget! Good luck!! :)

Ida Jo 12-23-2011 07:32 AM

Nonnie, have you ever thought of a giveaway! LOL......just kidding, most of the fabric I have now is in shelves and bins, as yours............I keep what I'm working with on the accessible shelves but I'm sure I have some that is "hidden" away that I need to get out. I gave away some of my stash to my Mother, who also quilts, when she was working on a project, but then she and my Sister gave me some of theirs........so here we go again! haha...........good luck.......some of the workplace photos in here are just amazing........and where there's a will.........there's a way..........I know you will find that way..........

mighty 12-24-2011 07:53 AM

I use the ruler method works really well for me.

wvdek 12-24-2011 10:02 PM

My method is cheap and works great - fold selvadge to selvadge, fold in half width wise, fold in half again, or whatever gives me the 9" wide i need for placing two different fabrics side by side stacked in the drawer/bins I use. Since the bins are see-thru, I can see the colors at a glance in each drawer- blues, greens, reds, browns, etc. Works great.

christi54 12-25-2011 11:16 AM

i go to the dollar store and buy the thick craft board and cut it into the size that i want and then i wrap my material onto it. i usually get six to seven pieces from one large sheet of craft board. I can get it in white or black. I use the white for light colored material and the black for dark material.. At my dollar store the craft board runs 2 for $1.00.

Sadheart 12-27-2011 10:19 PM

I was on daydesigns.com she has her fabric
hanging on hangers in the closet.

chairjogger 12-28-2011 05:03 AM

I have shelves but use the JoAnn fabric recycle bags, purchased for 1.99 to store my fabric. organized but bagged. my scraps I have used ziplock bags, color stacked and in these large bags too.. cheap, the bags form to shelves. good luck. not the best.. some of these sewing rooms I am in green with envy over !! good luck

Traceylyn 12-28-2011 07:05 AM

Wow, all that time organizing! When do you all sew! I had half of the two car garage remodeled into a studio (while my husband was working out of town). I use very tall shelves (designed to be used in the garage to store tools and garage stuff. I sort by fabric type. Then by color. Knits, flannel, wool, decorator, while quilt fabrics are folded and stored separately on shelves by color. Holiday fabrics are stored on a shelf separately (some are metalics, plaid, cotton etc). I sew professionally and I need a fabric type before I might need a specific color. I have so much that it is laying on the floor as there is not enough room for more shelves.

danece 12-28-2011 09:46 PM

I went to the Dollar store and they had the foam core boards, then when they ran out I went to a local sign board and purchased the coroplast boards, I cut all the larger boards into smaller more convienient sizes, I do am on a budget, but if I buy some, then go get some more, it works out better and it doesn't seem as if I'm spending all that much money at once, buy the way, I get twice as much in my space by storing my fabric in this way

QuiltnLady1 12-28-2011 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by judyyoungs (Post 4801801)
I use the ruler method also. It is so easy and keeps everything neat. AND it is free.

I use the ruler method as well. I fold the fabric fold to selvage and then wrap the longer lengths around the 6" wide ruler (I use the 6x12 since it is easier to manage). I wrap the smaller pieces (less than a yard) around a 4" wide ruler. Gives me 2 sized stacks which help making the most of the shelf space.