Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Fat Quarter storage: where do you put them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/fat-quarter-storage-where-do-you-put-them-t251784.html)

Christine- 08-13-2014 02:52 AM

Fat Quarter storage: where do you put them?

1 Attachment(s)
I'd love to see where you store your fat quarters! Do you put them in a drawer? On the floor?

Here's a picture of what I did with mine... I found 2 letter sorters at a thrift store and stacked them. They are the perfect this for fat quarters. I took this picture last year, when I first started organizing my stash. It's nearly full now, I should take another picture.

At the very bottom, you can barely see the tops of my comic book cardboard. I use that to fold the fabric that is too small to fit on a bolt but too big to to fold into fat quarters size.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]487413[/ATTACH]

Grammy o'5 08-13-2014 07:16 AM

That's a great idea. And, I like how you've arranged the fabric by color.

buntcake49 08-13-2014 11:54 AM

I just learned about the comic book cardboard. I love the way it helps organize small amounts of fabric and how great it looks on a bookshelf. It is so easy to find the colors I need.

zozee 08-13-2014 12:08 PM

Looks like the ideal piece of furniture. I keep my storebough fat quarters in shoeboxes, filed by color. If I cut yardage down and end up with a homemade fat quarter, I roll it and wrap a contrasting strip of fabric around it, and stand it on end in a pretty container.

Dolphyngyrl 08-13-2014 04:16 PM

Artbin double deep satchel

WMUTeach 08-14-2014 04:34 AM

I had, emphasis on HAD, an abundance of those plastic shoe boxes inherited from a family member who actually stored shoes in them. Imagine that! They are now used as storage for fat quarters and those smaller standard cuts of fabric. I have a 2.5, 3, 4, 5 and then a box for binding tails and another for salvages and ... well you get the picture. I had the plastic shoe boxes on hand, so used them. They work!

craftygater 08-14-2014 04:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use an old CD storage shelf. This is my 3yr Granddaughters collection. Everytime we go to the store she chooses several. Over the winter I will help her design a quilt and she wants to "sew" it together. I think she will have more than enough. Sorry I still can't get the picture to turn upright.

Cogito 08-14-2014 04:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I love my CD holders! I keep a large collection on a shelf in my sewing storage room but my most recents and soon to be used are stored right by my sewing area. I bought both of these at Salvation Army for $2.50!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]487593[/ATTACH]

lindaschipper 08-14-2014 05:53 AM

I have two dressers (chest type) each has 5 drawers. One dresser holds the fat-quarters, sorted by colors, and divided by balsa wood planks that I purchased at Hobby Lobby. The other dresser holds yardage and rolls of heat and bond, etc. Yes, I have tons of fat-quarters!!

Christine- 08-14-2014 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by craftygater (Post 6844402)
I use an old CD storage shelf. This is my 3yr Granddaughters collection. Everytime we go to the store she chooses several. Over the winter I will help her design a quilt and she wants to "sew" it together. I think she will have more than enough. Sorry I still can't get the picture to turn upright.

To get pictures to stop flipping, save them in .png format! That solves the problem when you edit a photo so it will show the right direction.