Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Folding fabric for best storage? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/folding-fabric-best-storage-t222323.html)

Bugs Sewing Room 05-27-2013 03:59 AM

Folding fabric for best storage?

I have a lot of fabric and not sure how to fold it for a uniform storage solution. I have a lot of fat quarters and a lot of various size pieces. I have a friend that use to be a sales rep and she gave me a lot of the samples that she took around to different shops. So far the ones that can be stored flat, I have done so, but not sure if this is the best way. I would like some ideas on folding these so when I go to pick them for a project and need to audition for a certain color, I can find it without going thru a whole pile. Any ideas you can give me will be great. Thanks for all your help.

katier825 05-27-2013 04:25 AM

You could either fold as they do in the store, then put in a clear container - stacked up and down so you can see the edges. Or you could wrap them. To get a consistent size, wrap it around a ruler. If you have small pieces, then use a smaller ruler - maybe 3-4" or so. Fold the FQ in half first, then wrap. I do this with 1/2-1 yd pieces. Larger pieces I wrap on the comic book boards.

paulswalia 05-27-2013 04:29 AM

Samples are usually not very big. Can you use a skirt hanger and sort by color per hanger?

Tartan 05-27-2013 04:30 AM

Take a look at Alaskasunshine's QB tutorial on folding fabric onto boards for the larger pieces. I like to store fat quarters folded into squares and I stand them on their ends in a drawer. I can just walk my fingers through them when looking for a certain one.

kamaiarigby 05-27-2013 06:30 AM

I ruler fold my larger pieces, my FQ I am like tartan and fold them square , I store these on edge in a small plastic bin, all my smaller scraps
That I would use for applique I iron them and fold them so they are tidy and these are stored in a cupboard by colour, don't iron them after you have folded them, I am a scrap quilter, so there fore I have shoe box's for different width strips, same for charm squares. I also have boxes for seasonal fabric, and children's fabric. Hope this is of some help to you
Happy quilting

BuzzinBumble 05-27-2013 07:32 AM

Tartan is right - Alaska Sunshine's tutorial is great for folding yardage! Plus you can drool over the photos that show her neatly organized stash. I like to use magazine size boards for mine, because they are the right size for most fabrics (1/4 the width). For fat quarters I fold them like they do at JoAnn's and sort them by color and then place them on end in clear plastic CD storage boxes.

kathymarie 05-27-2013 03:23 PM

I fold my yardage around a 6 x 24 ruler. Then fold in half and store on shelving....I have LOTS of fabric stored this way. It's easy to see what I have and I don't have a problem pulling one piece out of even the bottom of the stack. Wrapping the fabric around the ruler keeps it all in uniforms widths. I store fat quarters in cd storage racks and scraps in plastic bins sorted by color. It works for me.

Julie in NM 05-28-2013 03:09 AM

Ruler folder here!

Country1 05-28-2013 08:03 AM

Sew many ways to do. My problem is I do it one way and then get a wild hair to try something else! Maybe someday I'll quit confusing myself! LOL.

leaha 05-28-2013 08:26 AM

I use "polar notions" boards and clips, sure keeps fabric nice and neat, and as the U-tube shows you can put several fabrics and even pattern on one board for a project. So easy to keep together that way, no more " where is that fabric that goes with this one." Nice and sturdy too. Love them!