Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Getting Patterns Organized (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/getting-patterns-organized-t265018.html)

ccthomas 05-10-2015 04:38 PM

Good organization tip.

AUQuilter 05-10-2015 05:41 PM

Great organization tip! I could free up a third of a book shelf doing that- or more. Thanks.

just janet 05-11-2015 06:02 AM

Most of mine are pages ripped from magazines. I've been slipping them in the plastic sleeves. Do you photo copy first so all the pages are on the same type of paper?

tessagin 05-11-2015 06:14 AM

I have mine in binders in categories of stars, animals, etc. In each of the categories is a paper piecing section and applique. They are all in the plastic page savers.

bearisgray 05-11-2015 06:21 AM

Looks good!

MarthaT 05-11-2015 06:32 AM

I like putting each pattern in a sep. plastic page protector so I can remove the whole little packet when I am working on that quilt and don't have my whole notebook to contend with. But having yours spiral bound also makes it easy to open and fold back the book to the pattern you are using. My challenge is to have some sort of rhyme or reason to the order I put them in. As for the ones online...I either print them out and put them in my notebook or "pin" them to my Pinterest page.

judy363905 05-11-2015 07:49 AM

Great idea, am I correct that your book are not heavy (ie in plastic sleeves) and will stand up on a book shelf. I am interested to getting patterns organized also. Thank you for posting this...I will check back to see if you post an answer :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

Girlfriend 05-11-2015 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by judy363905 (Post 7192431)
Great idea, am I correct that your book are not heavy (ie in plastic sleeves) and will stand up on a book shelf. I am interested to getting patterns organized also. Thank you for posting this...I will check back to see if you post an answer :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

Hi Judy,

Yes, by comparison, the spiral bound is much, much lighter than putting them in sleeves, and then in binders. IMO, I have too many, and cannot accommodate the space. (OK, maybe I collect too many things!)

The spiral binders don't stand up as well as notebooks (obviously) and so I set them on a shelf, and I have marked them by using a sharpie on the thickness of papers.

I am so happy to be organized, free of unwanted stuff, and able to find what I am looking for! (can you tell?? hehe)

Girlfriend 05-11-2015 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by just janet (Post 7192308)
Most of mine are pages ripped from magazines. I've been slipping them in the plastic sleeves. Do you photo copy first so all the pages are on the same type of paper?

The ripped pages are hard to bind, so I used an inexpensive paper trimmer from Joann's to make them all the same size. (I carefully pulled the pages out of the magazines at the gummed edges because I knew I would be doing this someday).

If your's are rippped uncarefully and are all very uneven sizes, I would suggest you photocopy them first. But, I think you will be able to salvage them by using the paper trimmer.

Bren 05-11-2015 10:32 AM

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.