Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   has anyone made a Large sewing table? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/has-anyone-made-large-sewing-table-t239816.html)

w1613s 01-30-2014 07:26 AM

This is sort of on the topic.

Not my sewing desk/table, but my "other table," can be raised and lowered! My personal creation: ta, ta: an inexpensive table and exceedingly elegant concrete blocks and assorted sets of wooden blocks (when needed for more "up and down") to fit the number of legs to raise and lower said table.

Think of the possibilities. No having to get onto someone else's creation list. No having to satisfy anyone other than yourself (your sewing place, your pick). No needing help to accomplish the up and down motion. And "right this very minute" for "when?". And on and on.

Yesssssss followed by hand pumps!

Pat

rilene 01-30-2014 08:40 AM

Somewhere on her site, Eleanor Burns has directions on how to change a "farm" style kitchen table into a sewing table. It's not as big as you were asking, but I love mine. You can cut down the legs of the table to the right height for you.

Debbie C 01-30-2014 08:52 AM

I recently saw an article where a sewist used two hollow core doors placed on top of three standard file cabinets. She had her husband miter the ends of two doors to form a 90 degree corner and placed a filed cabinet at each corner and under the miter. She had plenty of room for a couple of sewing machines - brilliant!

ntransue 01-30-2014 02:25 PM

I bought a 4' x 4' x 1/2 inch particle board from Home Depot and covered it with contact paper and put four 3' x 25 inch book cases under it and use a my cutting table. The book cases work to hold extra supplies and my 300+ quilt books I have.

Monroe 01-30-2014 02:40 PM

I like the notion of making the table adjustable in length for convenience of moving, etc. I'm in an old farmhouse and have purchased 2 solid wood dropleaf tables. The are 14- 16" each with the leaves down. When I have a large gathering or need to sew I flip up the wings and slide them together. The total for the 2 tables was $85- found on Craigslist and Freecycle. Instead of a dropleaf you could salvage the expansion hardware and trestle legs from an old dining room table. Construct your table so you can add a leaf or two when you need the longer length. Using bookcases or filing cabinets as proposed above for the base of your table will give great storage options. Also check out free workbench plans on the internet. Rounding the tabletop corners slightly will avoid fabric snags and bruises.

Grammahunt 01-30-2014 07:12 PM

Perhaps cheap is a relative term. Years ago we purchased a 4x8 sheet of melamine. It is about an inch thick and cost around $30. I covered the rough edges with quarter-round wood edging which I painted with a glossy white paint. It has worked all these years without fail or splinter. This was raised to work height for cutting, sewing, and storage--a do it all work space. It was held up with old milk crates, boxes of fabric, and empty boxes. A couple years later I purchased inexpensive pre-fab shelving to hold it up. Then when we retired I finally splurged $1500 on pre-fab kitchen base cabinets. We sought out sizes to make a configuration that was both useful and fit under the melamine sheet. It is great storage as I have a combination of drawers and cabinets. The top is large enough to pin-baste a king size quilt with less effort than crawling around on the floor with my old back. I absolutely love my work table.

For my machines we purchased pre made melamine shelving. This is held in place at the correct work height for me by a 2x4 frame and nothing else. My machines sit on top but I do have a few of the clear tables specific to the machines.

adamae 01-30-2014 08:13 PM

My sewing table is half of a piece of 4 X 8 plywood.resulting in a surface of 2 X 6 feet. It is supported by 2 end tables which were $20. ea. I am tall so 29 inch tabletop height is not necessarily ideal for me.
In the center of the room are two long folding tables. At Home Depot they cut pvc pipe that fits over the legs of the folding table to my description to elevate the tables for when I stand. I use this setting for two different quilt club meetings and workshops quite frequently. I use the folding tables for sandwiching quilts, cutting and, sometimes family dinner buffet style. This is set up in my formal living room next to my dining room with a dinner table and chairs. Because I live alone I don't have to listen to anybody's criticism abouy my space. It's an old house with big rooms and high ceilings and hard to heat & cool. But I love it for sewing, quilting and entertaining.

Chasing Hawk 01-30-2014 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My long arm sits in a table that is 48 x 60 , with one of the corners rounded off. It is attached directly to the wall and has a bookshelf for the leg.

retta97 01-30-2014 09:34 PM

My Home Made Table

1 Attachment(s)
My hubby and I went to a Salvation Army store and bought a drafting table ( I think that is what the table was used for ) and he cut a hole to the left leaving about 3 - 4 inches of the table and then boxed the hole in leaving the end open for my cords and used Plexiglas to close in around sewing machine and table is great for regular sewing as well as for free motion quilting. Will try to add pics. We ended up paying more for the Plexiglas than the table and am still looking for just the right drawer to add on the right hand side of table, but all told I don't think we have more than 60.00 in the whole works. Good Luck

retta97 01-30-2014 09:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the other two pictures ,hope this helps.