Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Help Needed: Advise for storage and organization. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/help-needed-advise-storage-organization-t237608.html)

Country1 12-31-2013 09:22 AM

Congrats on your new sewing room. Everyone needs one or two.

skjquiltnut 12-31-2013 11:46 AM

Have you considered (since the space is already unusable, except for sleeping), creating a simple but amazing folding "cutting" table [ping-pong style] (with "lock-down" wheels) that fits over the bed?

skjquiltnut 12-31-2013 11:52 AM

Oops! Sorry, I missed reading previous idea re "folding space" over the bed.

BevF 01-03-2014 11:43 AM

We had custom captain's beds (twin size) made for our boys beds since the rooms were tight on space. The cabinet under the bed is 1/2 the width of the bed (and a shelf for shoes, gear, etc. on the back half) and goes the length of the bed. It is 23" tall, two drawers high and 3 across. The frame for holding the bed is separate from the cabinet underneath (for ease in moving). The cabinets hold a lot. Slats (1"x3"?) hold the mattress and sturdies the frame (total height 27") so they have springs mattresses. Yes, this makes the bed higher off the floor, but they love to climb into bed. You could have an ironing board at the closet door and more storage in the closet.

TammyB 01-04-2014 11:32 AM

I don't know how many times your daughter visits and needs the use of the bed, but I would eliminate the bed. Purchase one of the airbeds. These beds inflate and deflate in a matter of minutes. Mine folds right back up and fits in its original box which is about 6"x12"x10." They are very comfortable. That will give you some more room. I would retrofit the closet for shelf and bin storage. Just a few ideas here: http://www.bhg.com/blogs/centsationa...ting-supplies/ Also, it looks like you have some wall space. You may want to pick up some used upper kitchen cabinets and mount them above you on the wall for storage. We have a ReStore that contractors take things like that to and then you purchase them for real cheap.

Good luck!

quiltingcandy 01-04-2014 11:56 AM

One idea is to use an air mattress with a frame. There are a variety. An example is one from Walmart - /www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Queen-Cot-Cat-Framed-Airbed/22084227. We have one that we take camping and so know that it is very comfortable. My niece niece introduced me to them - it pulls in to about 12 in square and about 2 feet high.

When my daughter moved out - as she took out her furniture I moved in with my sewing machines. A year or so later we had a murphy bed installed. It it great to have a queen size bed to put guests in, and it is out of the way when there are no guests. The room keeps evolving even after 7 years. As I change so does the room.

cathyvv 01-04-2014 12:14 PM

If you want to have a place for your daughter to return to (let's hope she never NEEDS to use it), think about putting a murphy bed in the room. Only put easily stored 'stuff' in front of it, so it can be used if needed.

As for customizing the room for your quilting needs, I'll suggest you wait until you can move into the other daughters room to customize. Or ask you other daughter to move over to the other room.

No matter what you do, enjoy!

toverly 01-04-2014 12:25 PM

Your sewing room is almost identical to mine complete with the folding table. My closet is a bit more crowded and I have a bookcase instead of a dresser. I have considered putting a board and "piano hinge" on the wall above the bed mounted at a good cutting height. Fold out legs for the front. Keep the bed. When DS needs to stay there (when we have guests) hook the board up by the ceiling so it won't fall. The bottom of the board could be a beautiful fabric or even design wall. I have also thought about taking two headboards and making a sort of daybed out of the bed and doing the same thing but letting the posts of the bed be the support.

yourshortcake 01-07-2014 11:49 AM

Use the wall space as much as possible. Shelves, fold down tables, etc. Use the space underneath the bed as well. If you get creative, you can pack a lot of stuff in a small space.

neeng 01-09-2014 10:44 AM

I made a murphy bed for my spare room. Cost about $300 not including the mattress. Well worth it as now there's lots of floor space, and I can just fold the bed down when it's needed (assuming that whatever is in that "floor space" is easily moved!