Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   How do you store and keep track of your machine sewing needles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-do-you-store-keep-track-your-machine-sewing-needles-t281201.html)

lots2do 08-09-2016 04:11 PM

How do you store and keep track of your machine sewing needles?

Hi again,
I am looking for ideas for machine sewing needle storage. I have been way too relaxed about which needles I use and when I change them. Now that I am reorganizing, this seems like an area I can improve in. I'm interested in any suggestions.
Thank you and happy sewing,
lots2do

FGlinda 08-09-2016 06:43 PM

I use a small box (I think it's about 4x6) intended for embroidery floss. I probably bought it at Joanns. There are sections in the box that I use to organize the needles by size or type. I never put a used needle back in the original case. I have a 'tomato' pin cushion that I have marked into sections - each section is labeled according to the different types/sizes of machine needles. When I put a needle into my machine- either a new one or a used one from the pin cushion- I use a pin to mark the corresponding area on the pin cushion. No more guessing what type or size needle size is in my machine! Works for me!

Jane Quilter 08-09-2016 07:31 PM

I have a nice 4x6 box too. I never put a used needle back in its original case, and I don't save them. If its been used, it's done.

Sandra in Minnesota 08-09-2016 07:55 PM

I keep used machine needles in a pill bottle with a lid. I never put a used needle in my machine.

ManiacQuilter2 08-10-2016 04:19 AM

I keep my packaged needles in a small clear box. I have seen hints that either you can use a light colored fabric or pincushion and place hardly used needles under marked sections on type of needles. I really liked when Schmetz started marking the needles with a dab of color.

tessagin 08-10-2016 04:26 AM

When I'm done with a needle, I use pliers and curl then toss. This way no one gets stuck. I also used take a small piece of cardboard or old stock and shove the needle into it without going out the other side. Again no one gets hurt.

Onebyone 08-10-2016 04:49 AM

Needles are too inexpensive to spend my time saving them. Once it's out of my machine it's goes in the trash doesn't matter if I use it for an hour or a week. My new needles, which I have over 100 packs, are stored in pretty metal tin.

Snooze2978 08-10-2016 09:32 AM

I have a narrow but long plastic bin I found who knows where that my needle packs fit into. I organize them smallest size up front and larger sizes to the back. Odd numbers such as for metallic, jeans, topstitching get put after the regular size needles.

lots2do 08-10-2016 11:01 AM

Wow! Great ideas. Thank you all!

caspharm 08-10-2016 11:06 AM

Unless it is a quick use changeout (like sewing silk thread for a small project) then back to my regular wt, I also toss my machine needles out. I use empty plastic water bottles, preferably the small ones.

I store my new unused ones in their original packs. I do need a better way to hold those packs.

I had a class where the teacher suggested using one of those large tomato shaped pincushions. The tomato is "divided up" by lines and marked for quilting, microtex, etc, but I didn't like the method very well, since it wasn't going down to needle size, just type.

I have seen those magnetic needle holders that are sized like this one: Blue Feather myPad For Needles Machine Needle Organizer. I don't know how well they work.