Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   How do you store/organize your patterns? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-do-you-store-organize-your-patterns-t242805.html)

cpower 03-09-2014 05:54 AM

When someone finds a better way to organize patterns..........we need an app for that!! :)

mengler 03-09-2014 07:30 AM

[QUOTE=GARDNER0625;6616312]I'm spending way too much time looking for patterns that I know I have, I just can't find. How do you store and/or organize your patterns? I have quilting patterns as well as a lot of craft patterns. Thanks!![/

I use cardboard dritz pattern file boxes. I got them from JF who no longer carries them but creatforless does. http://www.createforless.com/pattern...pid190026.aspx
They have a list printed on the box you can use or make your own. I have one category in each box: home dec, kids, garments etc. most folks use plastic bins for everthing. I bought these ages ago. The hold 30-40 patterns each. Most of my patterns are electronic now so I haven't needed additional storage.

Julienm1 03-09-2014 07:41 AM

I, too, have too many patterns in various forms. Not sure this is a better way but is working great for me.

Such as Books. Two shelves. One has books that I have made a pattern from and the other books I have NOT but NEED TO make a pattern from.

Magazines...I tear the pattern out and put them in sleeves that live in 3 ring binders.

I took two days of my life and organzied the binders that I have. Each binder is labeled so I know where to put new stuff as I gather.

One binder is patterns I have already made. My fav patterns end up in there.

Second and third binders are BLOCKS only. Also stuck in there patterns for totes, pincushions, and mug rugs.

Fourth binder has complete quilt patterns either off the internet or torn from quilt magazines.

Fifth binder is for quilting patterns. Rarely look in there.

Sixth is tips, techinqus, shortcuts, formulas, etc.

Seventh is a flying geese book that I tore apart..no idea why and really shouldn't have...lol.

And lastly, is that really a word. have a pattern box that has individual patterns that I bought at stores. They are the patterns displayed on a peg board and in there own individual sleeve.

Sounds like I'm ocd but really am not.

As I mentioned took a long time to set this up but so glad I finally did. Now I can find what I need quickly and know where to browse for inspiration. {{{won't discuss internet mess.}}}}

Quiltnfrenzy 03-09-2014 07:56 AM

I keep mine in a storage box -fabric one with flap lid- and use index cards with labels to separate by pattern types (crazy quilt, bags, table runners, etc.). I can then stack the boxes.

luvstoquilt301 03-09-2014 07:59 AM

I have a very small 8 x 8 sewing room. I must keep things down to a reasonable size and quantity. I also use one of those pattern boxes for the patterns that come in those little plastic bags. You can fit alot of them in one box. I have one large 3 ring binder for those from magazines, etc. I go though each periodically and cull to make room for new ones.

We moved a little over a year cross country and I want to keep my whole house clutter free. It was alot of work to purge stuff before the move. My guild has a once a year year sale so I have a great place to donate purchased patterns.

quiltwiz 03-09-2014 10:13 AM

I also use a four-drawer file cabinet. I have dividers for things like Hand embroidery, children's, Texas and Patriotic,
Log cabin, etc. I usually name the tab with the first thing that I think of when I see the pattern. That way I will find it even if it is a year from when I filed it.

quiltmom04 03-09-2014 10:24 AM

I have 2 tubs - really they are the bins restaurants use for bussing tables that I got at the local restaurant store for about $2.50 ea. I keep them on a shelf in my closet.

tessagin 03-09-2014 10:26 AM

3 ring binders are the best. I alphabetize. My manuals are in binders also with charts for needles and thread and quilt sizes. One of my manuals pages had a page 1/2 torn. Went online to print the pages, stapled it into the manual and put it into a sheet protector. ALso printed a photo of my machines and attached to the manuals. I also have a binder with quilts I'm working on and who those quilts will go to in case of an emergency.

GARDNER0625 03-09-2014 10:38 AM

Lots of good ideas here -- thanks! I think my problem is I have some in binders, some in bins, some on my "work in progress" table, and honestly, some still in the bags from when I purchased them. :) I think I just need to come up with some cohesive method and stick with it. Thanks everyone!

JanieH 03-09-2014 01:20 PM

I keep patterns I print off the web in plastic sleeves in 3 ring binders. The ones I buy I organize in shoe boxed labeled as to type - quilts, bags/totes, embroidery, etc.