Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   How to pack up a sewing/craft room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/how-pack-up-sewing-craft-room-t309917.html)

ScubaK 02-26-2020 09:58 AM

How to pack up a sewing/craft room

Hello all!
After 14 years it is time to repaint the interior of the house and get new flooring. I am hoping to get this completed by April!
My biggest obstacle will be the Quilting/Crafting room!
How do you pack up all the stuff? Where do you find boxes? I don't want bins because I don't want that expense. I have it all! The design wall (on a wall), a 10ft frame and machine, a sewing desk area with 2 machines, shelving, ironing station, irons, lights...and all the things that go along with this hobby! Thread racks, bins of batting, felt, scrap system...
HELP!!!

Kirsten

Tartan 02-26-2020 10:14 AM

Some big box store will give you boxes if you ask. Little things like thread, I would fill pillowcases and put an elastic around the end to close them.

oldmanquilts 02-26-2020 11:06 AM

For this project I wouldn't pack anything. Move it to other parts of the house in as big of pieces that will fit through the doorway. Then I'd paint and put the floor down in the sewing room. Then move back in, close the door and finish the rest of the house.

Rhonda K 02-26-2020 02:41 PM

Check local listing for free moving boxes. I would plan to have the sewing room or one other room painted first. After it is done, rotate the contents of the next room into that room.

Do you have a garage or another holding area while the work is being done?

juliasb 02-26-2020 02:56 PM

I remember all to well having to move from one room to another when I moved from one home to another and drawers were not emptied they were removed from dressers or stackable. I used a lot of plastic wrap for shipping and enclosed a whole lot of stuff in the plastic wrap until I was ready to put it in the new location. The commercial plastic wrap was not expensive either. I got boxes from Home Depot, boxes they would be tossing. Some things were were moved from one location to under a bed in another room for temporary storage. My kitchen was a room that you wiggled your way through during the transition. So until the floors were done and a wall put up for my new studio, we worked around things quickly to get things done as fast as possible

dunster 02-26-2020 09:12 PM

You could look at this as an opportunity to re-organize and de-clutter. I actually look forward to moving for that very reason.

selm 02-27-2020 09:30 AM

The room can be painted and have floor laid down with the big items still in the room. The 10 ft frame and the desk can be moved to one side, the other side is painted then move the items to the finished side and finish the room.
If you are doing this yourself your could probably paint one side, floor one side, move items and do second side.
If you are hiring people you would probably have to move(or have moved) the items twice.

ScubaK 02-27-2020 09:59 AM

Thank you everyone.
I do not have a garage so will be renting a P.O.D. storage unit.
I am trying to remove all items from the house (besides the kitchen/pantry/laundry) and do the floor in one fell swoop! I will look into the box stores and see what I can find for boxes.
Any other hints would be welcome.
Now off to sew expo
Kirsten

Claire Hallman 02-27-2020 02:10 PM

I would love to put a new floor in my sewing room but the thought of moving everything has stopped me so far.
A good place to get boxes is the liquor store, they are sturdy and not so big that you can't lift them when full.

mgause 02-27-2020 03:23 PM

I find the sturdy boxes that bananas are shipped in make great moving boxes. Grocery stores will give them to you. They are just the right size and have handles already cut in.