Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   I Actually Organized Today! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/i-actually-organized-today-t289687.html)

cashs_mom 07-16-2017 03:51 PM

I Actually Organized Today!

I was looking for some dog fabric to get a start on my Christmas gifts. I was looking specifically for dachshund fabrics. I have 8 plastic boxes of dog fabrics. So I sorted as I looked for the fabrics I wanted to use. I realized that I had a lot of dachshund fabric, a lot of general dog fabric and a lot of dog bones, paw prints and others to go with the dog fabrics. I so repacked and now have 4 boxes of dog fabrics, 3 boxes of dachshund fabrics and one box of go-with fabrics. And I really need to make some quilts using dog fabrics!

lots2do 07-16-2017 05:28 PM

Wow! That's a lot of doggy fabrics. Bet it felt great to organize. I found some beautiful cat fabric recently. It's very elegant looking. I hope to get another yard tomorrow to make some Christmas gifts.
I have a lot of moose fabric and blueberry fabric in my 'collection'.

cathyvv 07-16-2017 07:11 PM

All in one day? Great!

That much organizing would take me weeks...if I didn't find fabrics that made a quilt magically appear in my mind. In that case, organizing ends and creating begins. Yes, I give in to temptation.

gramajo 07-16-2017 08:38 PM

Congratulations!

coopah 07-17-2017 03:44 AM

Good for you and now you can sew away!

tessagin 07-17-2017 04:10 AM

Feels great when we have a little organization.

cashs_mom 07-17-2017 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 7865160)
All in one day? Great!

That much organizing would take me weeks...if I didn't find fabrics that made a quilt magically appear in my mind. In that case, organizing ends and creating begins. Yes, I give in to temptation.

Actually it was in a couple hours. I made a little zipper bag to see how the tutorial went and decided I liked it and was going to make some for Christmas gifts so started sorting. It wasn't bad. I just made one pile for "dog fabric", one pile for dachshund fabric and one pile for the "go-withs". After I emptied the first box, I put the dog fabrics in that box and put it back on the shelf. It goes pretty fast that way.

Jingle 07-17-2017 06:43 PM

Sounds like a good way to organize.

I need to redo my fabrics, using fabrics and just laying them back on the shelves any which way makes them messy.

cashs_mom 07-17-2017 07:38 PM

I have to have mine in boxes Jingle. I could never keep any semblance of order just laying them on shelves. I like to organize as I go. I"m not good at taking a whole day to organize. Most of my sewing is on weekends and if I spend a whole day organizing then I don't get to do much sewing until the next weekend so I organize in small bits.

zozee 07-18-2017 12:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]576760[/ATTACH]
Ta-da! Mission Accomplished. I got my sewing/guest room company ready by 6:30 last night.
What. a. relief. but.what. a. chore!

Overnight company (my hubby's brother) arrived at 7:30.
Said he slept well (11 pm -9 am, I'd say so!) .

(Scroll up if you missed the "before" and "progress" pictures.)

Cleared off this piece of furniture, except for decor and lamp.
I keep my self-kitted items here. My design wall works well on the
floor because I can easily move it to my sewing machine or prop a couple
of the boards side-by-side in front of the closet for a larger quilt layout.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]576763[/ATTACH]

_