Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   I brand new at learning to sew. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/i-brand-new-learning-sew-t213658.html)

gramquilter2 02-13-2013 11:46 AM

You can find everything on line and will never need to buy a pattern. Many places have step by step photo directions, even on how to cut and measure your fabric.

annthreecats 02-13-2013 05:26 PM

Welcome to the Board. I hope you find lots of inspiration here. Be sure to search Youtube videos for tutorials on how to measure, cut, and bind. There are tons of videos and some great videos with patterns, check out videos by Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilting Company (she makes quilting look so easy). I use a 24" x 3.5" ruler and a rotary cutter to cut my fabric. I do have one other 6.5 square that I use a little, but most of my fabric is cut with my long narrow ruler. I hope you enjoy the quilting boartd.

Flo Pierce 02-14-2013 04:40 AM

Good for you. Remember practice makes perfect and no one but you will see any mistakes. Keep up the great'
learning experience. don't give up.

Flo in NNY

SimpsonFrances 02-14-2013 04:41 AM

Welcome to the board! Lots of experience and friendships here! Quilting can be very addictive. LOL There are some rulers that are made by Quilters Rule that can help with straight line cutting. They are a little pricier that the others but I have found them very helpful with rotary cutting. If you can purchase just one, I recommend the longer one. I like Olfa mats best and do not depend on the gridded side. I use the blank side.

joym 02-14-2013 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Flo Pierce (Post 5860325)
Good for you. Remember practice makes perfect and no one but you will see any mistakes. Keep up the great'
learning experience. don't give up.

Flo in NNY

great advice....

shadowrider 02-14-2013 09:30 AM

Just a tip for cutting and measuring with your ruler...If I want to cut a 2 inch strip, place a piece of tape on the 2 inch line so you don't have to check for it each time. I tend to reverse or misread numbers and this really helps. Also, don't measure or cut when you're tired!!! We all make mistakes then creatively fix them.

JBeamer 02-14-2013 11:34 AM

Welcome to this great QB. So sorry you have health related problems. Hope you enjoy learning to quilt. Be sure to post your progress. Will look forward to seeing your quilts.

mkay 02-14-2013 01:16 PM

You are going to love your new pasttime just relax and enjoy yourself the others have already given you lots of good advice so just have fun now.

Nammie to 7 02-14-2013 06:54 PM

Check with your local quilt shop - they will probably have some wonderful beginner classes to help you get started. Also check with your local quilt guild - they have a wealth of knowledge that most are very willing to share. Enjoy

Yakkity 02-14-2013 06:59 PM

If you are interested; Craftsy has online sewing classes for quilting. They regularly have some on sale.
They have some very good teachers and do a great job with the camera work also.
Good luck on your quilting!