Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   I found the best idea for scrap storage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/i-found-best-idea-scrap-storage-t186048.html)

w7sue 04-15-2012 08:43 AM

I cut mine into 2.5, then 2.0 and finally into 1.5 inch squares and stash them in containers until the need to play small and scrappy hits me - quite regularly. Bonnie Hunter's book "Adventures with Leaders and Enders" got me started and I have already done several quilts in this book. I have four other scrap quilts on the list to make for a charity before August and am looking at my blocks and thinking there is more cutting in my future. I am working on the "Rick Rack Nines" quilt right now. I have to add the final border and it will be ready for quilting. This quilt took almost 2700 2" squares to make the 290 nine patches.

I went through my fabric one spring and pulled anything smaller than a fat quarter or the tails on larger pieces and put them into a grocery bag (large paper one). I took them to our beach house and over the summer I cut enough scraps to make five or six scrap quilts (queen size). One of them took three different sizes and that was my starting point - once those pieces were cut, then I cut the other three sizes mentioned above.

McCalls Quilting Magazine had a pattern that used a 16 patch and an hour-glass block. That was it. They were set in rows and when it was all laid out it looked like it was set on point. I made five or six of these. They all looked different because of the hour-glass blocks and borders.

Scrap quilting is by far my favorite.

mjhaess 04-15-2012 02:31 PM

Thanks for sharing...... great idea...........

Katia 04-15-2012 03:40 PM

The sizes she recommended is 2 inch, 3 and a half inch, and 5 inch. I think it is a wonderful idea too. I just need to get on it.

simpsonfs 04-16-2012 05:15 AM

I bought this magazine from JoAnn's this weekend. Very interesting concept...worth the investigation. Resembles some of the information from Bonnie Hunter.

damaquilts 04-16-2012 05:27 AM

I redid all my fabric ,measuring and wrapping everything 1/2 yd and up on comic book boards. Anything not a full width or smaller is being cut up. Until then they are being stored in kitty litter buckets. I first cut fat quarters, then 10 inch squares then 5, 3.5 , and 3 , 2.5 inch strips. Some are already cut into bigger strips so they go in a basket. I am also cutting the pieces I have left over after cutting squares, into triangles whatever size they come out and strips as small as 1 inch. Anything smaller than that is getting tossed in a basket and probably going in the trash. They really are mostly just slivers. I am trying to clear out everything thing I really don't need or have room for. Getting back to basics. I am sewing them into pairs and then will make scrap quilts or cover dog crate pads with them.

ljptexas 04-16-2012 06:29 AM

Great site! Think I'll enter jacket I made to try to win book.

lfstamper 04-16-2012 08:42 AM

Great motivation! Thanks for sharing.

sguillot 04-16-2012 10:05 AM

Sounds great if I only had time to do it, it would be great.

craftybear 04-16-2012 12:33 PM

thanks for letting us know

linmid 04-16-2012 01:18 PM

What were the 3 specific sizes? It sounds like I need to get this to help me with my non organizational skills. LOL