Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   I was just going to put something away ----and 4 hours later.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/i-just-going-put-something-away-4-hours-later-t208042.html)

kay carlson 12-09-2012 02:25 PM

I was just going to put something away ----and 4 hours later....

I have been so happy with the way my sewing area is arranged and the room is inviting without clutter. No, I think this is a long term project in progress, so I will refrain from patting myself of the back at this point.

Well, I was going to go downstairs to sew. I planned to sew while some of the football games were on this afternoon. The Packer-Lion game this evening will require my full and/or undivided attention.

Since I have been following some tips to unclutter, it seemed like a natural thing to do when I decided to put away a paper I had in my hand. That's when I went off on a tangent. Three shelves of the front hallway bookcase were cleared, washed with Murphy Soap, and the contents were sorted. In the process, I discovered several items needed a new home --- giveaways or file 13; some 3-ring notebooks needed to be labeled; and layers of dust were removed. (Contradictory to my mantra that dust is a protective covering!) The project of cleaning all six shelves will be resumed this week when I want to listen to NPR.

We aren't expecting company for the holidays, but it will be good to have that bookcase in order. :-0

Sew I am piecefully following my heart and will go downstairs to quilt. GO PACK GO!

WisWis 12-09-2012 02:32 PM

Great job you did today. You can now quilt with a clear concience.

NJ Quilter 12-09-2012 02:35 PM

I have been on a cleaning mission all week. Scrubbing walls, polishing furniture, washing everything I can get my hands on and more. A friend stopped by the other night after I had spent 9 hours cleaning the living room (and no - it's not THAT big). I told him if he sat still too long he was probably going to be scrubbed, windexed, polished or laundered. One room that has NOT been touched is the sewing room. And that room is a nightmare. Will probably take me 2-3 days just to straighten it out, finish up a couple of projects so I can toss some stuff and the like before I can even think about cleaning it. I'll be happy if it's just straight after all of this other stuff! Congrats on getting your bookcase sorted. Feels good even if you're exhausted when you're done.

kay carlson 12-09-2012 06:34 PM

WisWis and NJ Quilter, I did quilt with all happy thoughts - no guilt whatsoever. :-) A hexagonal table topper for fall has been quilted and bound. I tend to believe that I am early for next season, rather than late for this past Thanksgiving....and sometimes actually fool myself. At least the oblong and hexagon toppers are both done! Hubby warmed through our dinner and the dishes are in the dishwasher being scrubbed clean. Tomorrow, I will finish the bookcase. This decluttering business is empowering.....

Sandygirl 12-10-2012 04:35 AM

I spent yesterday redoing all of my kitchen cabinets. I put items, food stuff, in Tupperware vs just storing the empty Tupperware. Emptied a lot of boxes! I just cut off the description from the box and taped it to the outside of the Tupperware. Sure opened up more storage space! And put all of that Tupperware to use. I found a few duplicate boxes of stuff too.

I moved a lot of dishes and cookware to more accessible cabinets. I hate corner base cabinets because they are so awkward to get things out of and put away. No, i don't have a laZy susan...had one...hated it! Spent too much time putting items back on it after I would give it a spin! Takes up too much storage space too. i just stored items that i don't use often in the lower corner cabinet.

collady 12-10-2012 02:12 PM

I sure enjoyed the football game! If for nothing more that the snow. I am so glad someone else gets side-tracked into doing positive things.

kay carlson 12-10-2012 05:21 PM

SandyGirl, I use heavy duty cookie sheets with sides to act as trays to slide out from the lower cabinets . I've also used sturdy plastic boxes to store empty mason jars and plastic caps for the same purpose.

Collady, we enjoyed the football game and were glad that our area in the Upper Peninsula was missed by the snow storm.

Everyone, I've finished cleaning the bookcase. I've purged things, labeled notebooks, sorted documents, etc. to lighten the load. Thank goodness I have simplified the system and was able to declutter. Of course, I still have some shoeboxes full of articles that have been saved. The more you do it, the easier it is to declutter. The downside is that when I am decluttering/organizing I am NOT quilting.

My next project to arriving at a happy medium of decluttering and quilting! :-)

sewdamncute 12-10-2012 07:50 PM

I am so going to use the "Protective covering" ploy!:thumbup:

gzuslivz 12-11-2012 01:00 AM

I am on a long term adventure of simplifying, minimizing and cleaning. For Thanksgiving I got my upstairs bathroom and the kitchen/dining room done. The living room is partially done. Over the Christmas/New Year break my husband is going to help me with my sewing room. After the New Year, my daughter and her husband are going to gut our downstairs room because they are moving in with us around the end of February. Our first granddaughter is due March 17th and we are thrilled to have them all here with us:)

damaquilts 12-11-2012 06:05 AM

I am trying to hold off until January to redo my sewing room. I keep wanting to start but need to go slow. I want it to be done this time. I have moved things around often in the last 2 years and want to get the maximum space usage this time. Then I am going to take the whole month and redo. I would paint but my brother put up shelves near the ceiling to hold collections so I don't want to take them down. I have collections of vintage pin cushions I may sell to make more room on the walls and maybe even the shelfs I upscaled to hold them . Not sure yet. New computer desk , smaller , not a corner one. And some file cabinets maybe.