Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Ideas for storage of thread cones for long arm (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/ideas-storage-thread-cones-long-arm-t279781.html)

lfletcher 06-21-2016 09:52 AM

I use a chest of drawers for my thread cones and clear plastic bobbin holders with lids for my bobbins. I label the bobbin holders by type of thread. It's easy to see the colors when I pull out a drawer and it's also easy to see if I have any prewound bobbins with the clear holders. I try not to wind more bobbins than I need and if I have 2 cones of the same color this makes it easy. (I have a stand alone bobbin winder). This works for me.

bearisgray 06-21-2016 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7582767)
Just test it. I've got thread I haven't used yet from estate sales that still have wrapping on it.

You will still need to check it to make sure it is still strong.

rryder 06-21-2016 11:57 AM

Just give it a tug. If it doesn't pull apart, then it's fine to use. I have lots of very old (think 75 to 100 years old) thread that I use frequently for my wall hangings. Sometimes the first couple of layers on the outside have weakened due to sun exposure etc., but usually if you pull that off then what is underneath was protected and is good. That said, I would throw away any that has mildew or mold on it.

I would not use some of my older threads for quilts that will be used like lap quilts or bed quilts, but I have used lots of thread from the 60s and 70s in quilts that get use as well as in potholders, and they have held up just fine.

Rob

caspharm 06-22-2016 04:48 PM

I was using a CD Cabinet with sliding doors, but it's too shallow. I am probably going to use an tallboy left over from a bedroom set we gave away. I measure the drawers and I can get my spools and a lot of my rulers in it.

Michellesews 06-22-2016 07:17 PM

I use two large drawers. I use a golf tee to attach a bobbin to the like thread if any is left. I try very hard to not have a lot of left over bobbin.

slk350 06-23-2016 07:54 PM

I store all my serger thread (I don't know if your cone thread is the same) in one of those plastic 3 drawer "dressers" from Walmart. I made dividers for each drawer from cardboard, like the ones used to divide X-mas ornaments and put the thread in sets of 4 matching colors...works great and keeps the dust off

QuiltnNan 07-13-2016 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 7582401)
White thread.

LOL... makes life simpler, right!?

Michellesews 07-13-2016 08:16 AM

I have a LOT of thread because I longarm for the public. I keep my Glide thread in two large drawers. All other is in a cloth square box, the kind that folds flat.. on a shelf. I marked on the fronts of the cloth boxes the types, I.e.; sew fine, King Tut verigated, Bottom line...etc. with so many different kinds this makes it easy to find them and they are protected from sunlight.

quiltingshorttimer 07-13-2016 09:05 PM

Came up with a solution--I looked at several of your suggestions but ultimately figured out that using my large, deep plastic totes, along with a plastic tote the same size but 1/2 the depth, allows me to put 2 layers of cones in each tub, sorted by colors and easy to actually see what I have. I then slide the totes under the long arm and can put my feed up on them when I'm quilting while sitting on my drafting stool! Win/win!

Jane Quilter 07-13-2016 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 7601263)
Came up with a solution--I looked at several of your suggestions but ultimately figured out that using my large, deep plastic totes, along with a plastic tote the same size but 1/2 the depth, allows me to put 2 layers of cones in each tub, sorted by colors and easy to actually see what I have. I then slide the totes under the long arm and can put my feed up on them when I'm quilting while sitting on my drafting stool! Win/win!

any solution that includes a foot stool it a winner in my book.