Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Labeling Fabric Yardage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/labeling-fabric-yardage-t310781.html)

Fortyniner 04-28-2020 09:54 AM

Labeling Fabric Yardage

I have been refolding my stash and wanted to mark each piece with the yardage. I started out using return address label stickers but they are coming off easily. Has anyone used a sticker that stays put or come up with a better way to do it? I read that safety pins can rust and putting an amount on the selvage seems difficult to find. I thought of using tape but thought the glue would stick to the fabric. I decided to not mark one yard cuts, since I purchased a lot of them and I would know unmarked fabrics were one yard. Does anyone know a good method?

tranum 04-28-2020 10:06 AM

I would double a small piece of paper & staple it to the selvege.

ckcowl 04-28-2020 10:21 AM

I used post-it flags and stapled them to the salvage in a corner- folded so that corner was up, easy to find. I also arranged my shelves with1/2 yard, one yard, two yard, three yard and wide backings stacks sub organized by color. I always use wide backing and know those are 3 yards long, ( 108” square) so when I find a good sale I might purchase 3-4 different backing fabrics.

Iceblossom 04-28-2020 12:09 PM

I bought brass safety pins, also archival tags but maybe that's going a bit far.

I will often write notes in my selvedge with sharpie pens, the size, the date, or other pertinent info like cost or location. When you cut off a piece, cut off the piece with the note and write a new one!

Tartan 04-28-2020 12:33 PM

Anything sticky, can leave a residue on fabric. You could use the plastic coated paper clips to clip a paper to the fold?

amyjo 04-28-2020 12:45 PM

I found a tagger that uses plastic piece to attach a paper tag that notes or yardage could be written on it I think it can be used to baste quilts also I see it used at thrift shops

juliasb 04-28-2020 01:58 PM

I have a basting gun that has plastic marks, like what you see labeling garments in a retail store. I use on for 1 yard 2 for 2 yds and so on. A great way to know what I have without damaging the fabric. I put the markers in the salvage

QuiltNama 04-28-2020 03:14 PM

When I refolded my stash, I took a piece of bright pink paper, cut into small squares, wrote the fabric amount on the paper and stapled it to the salvage of the fabric. I tried pins (ouch), paper clips and even folding the paper into the fabric folds. Staples work
the best and can be removed very easy.
Peace, Brenda

QuiltE 04-28-2020 03:52 PM

I use green Painters Tape.
I've never had problems with it coming free.
Unlike most adhesive products, it does not leave any sticky residue.

Rhonda K 04-29-2020 03:29 AM

I use a small post-it note. They are 2x2 inches and have sticky on the whole note. I write the amount of fabric and the date. Attach with a small glass head pin. I've never had a problem with any rust from the pins. We have central A/C on in the house so maybe that makes a difference.

One of the LQS has a label with the fabric info, yardage amount, and sku #. I leave that right on the fabric and no issues.

I tie any collections or already purposed fabrics together using a tie made with scrap fabric.