Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Laminate floor in sewing room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/laminate-floor-sewing-room-t124357.html)

Nanamoms 05-19-2011 09:10 PM

I have the laminate wood flooring in all my rooms except the bathrooms and kitchen (ceramic tile). I love it...bought it at Home Depot. It's an oak color. Can't remember the brand right now but the underlay was not attached. It was a separate roll. There is some slight sound but once all the furniture is in place, it's not noticable. I might go with the heavier underlay if I did it again. I wish I had it all over...the ceramic tile is hard on my legs!!

Lyncat 05-19-2011 09:29 PM

My sister-in-law has saltillo tile floors, and her baby grand is just fine.

incoming2me 05-19-2011 09:30 PM

We installed Pergo (bought at Home Depot) in my sewing room - LOVE it!
Absolutely no problems.
I mop over it from time to time with a diluted vinegar / water solution from a spray bottle and that's all it takes.

Word of caution:
My husband opted for a cheaper type of wood laminate (bought at Home Depot) in his computer room - it's not held so well up to his computer chair rolling all over it. It has chipped in a couple of places.

quilterella 05-20-2011 01:31 AM

My DH replaced the tacky carpet with laminate wood flooring in all the rooms except the bathrom. I love it in my two sewing rooms. He usually runs a swifter over the floors every two days, so, lint and dust bunnies are easily kept at bay. i would have to say it is a very wothwhile investment.

SueDor 05-20-2011 01:58 AM

Just don't have a iron or a ruler that falls with the corner hitting the floor.

quiltin chris 05-20-2011 02:34 AM

We built a new house and have laminate floors through out the whole house except bathrooms and kitchen.
I lived with it for a couple of years then decided to put it in "my sewing room" in the basement.

I appreciate so much not having to run the vacuum all over my house. Maintenance is a breeze.
There is some echo but some furniture, area rugs, and some quilts on display has helped a lot.

Chris

Jory 05-20-2011 02:42 AM

I found something that is cheaper than laminate, impervious to water, easy to install. It's called resilient vinyl flooring, the name brand is "Allure," and it's at Home Depot. It can be a DIY project: about $2.30/sq ft. All kinds of patterns, too: wood, tile, etc. I installed an oak finish in my basement, and it looks fantastic!

The planks already have the backing attached: you can install it right over concrete or underlayment.

Jory

Darlene 05-20-2011 03:16 AM

We have had laminate wooden floors since 1998 and they are still in great shape. The brand is Formica. It is in two long halls, the kitchen and powder room.

hobbykat1955 05-20-2011 03:32 AM

We have two homes and have it in both...I put it in my kitchen in NY...I think it was Armstrong...wide board barn plank look...dark wood...love it.
In my Bthrms I did laminate tile look...love it.
In other hse have it in kitchen, hallways and part of LR got it thru Carpet One...Think it was also Armstrong and again no complaints...easy to clean and looks great.

Olivia's Grammy 05-20-2011 03:46 AM

I have some type of laminate in my sewing studio and I love it. It is so easy to clean and very easy on my legs when I stand alot.