Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Lamp made from blue/purple strips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/lamp-made-blue-purple-strips-t219465.html)

pollyjvan9 04-18-2013 11:13 AM

Lamp made from blue/purple strips

1 Attachment(s)
I am in the process of moving my quilting to two small bedrooms which are across the hall from each other. The smaller will have shelves for fabric and other supplies. The larger, which has 2 windows will have my Baby Lock embroidery and sewing machine, my Juki which I do all my piecing on, The serger and the embellisher. I will also have the ironing board and a design wall in the larger bedroom. I have started sorting, discarding, refolding all my fabrics. Trying to get all the supplies in one spot so I can decided how to store them, etc. While doing that I pulled out a box of blue and purple strip scraps and, of course, decided to stop working and play awhile, so I made a lamp shade for a lamp I already had in the donate box. Think it is really cute and will go really good in my quilting room.

SewExtremeSeams 04-18-2013 12:56 PM

It's really cute and very pleasing to look at. Would you mind giving more detail on how you did that or a closer view of it please? It looks to me like you tied the strips to the frame ribs.

pollyjvan9 04-18-2013 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Linda, I started out by wrapping the top and bottom rings and then started weaving around the shade. My shade only had four ribs and it wasn't looking right so I added vertical strips to each side. I tied them as tight as I could for stability. As you work around the shade, try to keep the rings as close together as possible. I wish I had pushed mine closer together. I also varied the length of the strips so that the knots didn't all come out at the same place. I also wrapped the string around each ribe and vertical strip. I hope this makes sense, maybe the closeup will help. If you have any questions just let me know. Now I'm wishing I had another lamp shade!

valleyquiltermo 04-18-2013 04:30 PM

Nice, wondering what watt light bulb this will use?

Material Witness 04-18-2013 05:28 PM

Excuse me, did you say DISCARDING??

MamaInRed 04-18-2013 06:49 PM

That turned out really cute ! perfect for a quilting room :)

SHELTIE'SMAMA 04-18-2013 07:19 PM

You are the perfect example of the creativity that lurks inside each and every quilter. That was not only the perfect brainstorm but was excuted brillantly. Extremely nice job! Thanks for sharing - betcha these crop up all over the quilting rooms across America.

owlvamp 04-18-2013 07:45 PM

Beautiful lamp shade I love it!!

bischoffjac 04-19-2013 03:27 AM

That is really a nifty idea!! Thanks for sharing.

SewExtremeSeams 04-19-2013 04:54 AM

Thank you so much Polly. You did a wonderful job of explaining it. You are really clever as well as creative!!!!