Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Lighting for Quilt House (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/lighting-quilt-house-t264815.html)

Stitchit123 05-04-2015 07:55 AM

I prefer the florescent lighting. They don't create shadows -they are easy on your eyes - they are easy to install -replacement bulbs can be found any where and the price fits every one's budget. They are the most economical bulb to use. Every school in America has florescent lighting and these are the reasons they use them

chris_quilts 05-04-2015 01:00 PM

Fluorescent lights emit a buzz and that can bother some people. I always hear their buzz. We have one in laundry area which gives good light but the buzzing/humming drives me crazy.

Cam's gram 05-04-2015 01:11 PM

Before we finished off my quilting area, I check with our lighting store (not a box store) and they said the best task lighting was the florescent lights. We put three 4 ft lights with 4 bulbs each over my longarm, one above my cutting station and another one over my sewing machine. Lots of light and no shadows - I love it.

ladydukes 05-05-2015 06:37 AM

I have a large closet with double doors leading into it where I store my fabric and other items on 72x18x4 steel shelves. The lighting was one single light fixture with two bulbs. IMHO, I can't get too much light, so we purchased a 4-ft. 2-strip LED light fixture from Home Depot and my DH installed it. I love it! Now I can see everything at a glance. I'm still trying to figure out what to do in my sewing room since I have a ceiling fan and light in the center of the ceiling.

lots2do 05-05-2015 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 (Post 7185764)
I prefer the florescent lighting. They don't create shadows -they are easy on your eyes - they are easy to install -replacement bulbs can be found any where and the price fits every one's budget. They are the most economical bulb to use. Every school in America has florescent lighting and these are the reasons they use them

This is true but you should see the fading that happens to the cloth on my bulletin boards and to the construction paper used in the kids' art projects. Granted they are on for a full day at a time. I try to only use half of the lights in my classroom. Feels more soothing. Well, as soothing as it can!

NopahDesertRat 05-05-2015 06:14 PM

I would suggest you go with some type of LED lighting. They are even cheaper to run than the fluorescents and they don't have any UV in them to cause problems with fabric fading.
Many schools are now switching from fluorescents to LEDs or just plain old light bulbs because some students are sensitive to the buzz and the minute flicker that they do give off.
I like a lot of light too!!

Ethel

crafterrn1 05-06-2015 08:52 AM

I use track lights in my sewing room and the fabric room. But I use LED bulbs and tracks. I have no shadows as I use long attachable tracks. I also have 2 pendent lights off of the tracks. Cheap to run and not hot or harsh. I use daylight bulbs for true clear color. Luann

acesgame 05-06-2015 07:45 PM

Wow a quilt house would be my dream. I think I would like recessed can lights. You can choose all kinds of bulbs for those and they work for most situation and when they don't you usually need task lighting anyway. Good luck and show us your progress.

mjhaess 05-08-2015 06:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the lighting I chose to put in my room. They are LED lights that I bought from Lowes. They are about 80 dollars each. I put six of them in my room and it is like a sunny day in their with the lights on.

chris_quilts 05-08-2015 01:00 PM

MJHaess;

Love those lights. Beautiful!! I want some!