Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Magazine Organization/Storage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/magazine-organization-storage-t210902.html)

Grama Lehr 01-14-2013 09:20 AM

I love my magazines too, I hate to part with them, but honestly, I know that if I live to be 250 I can't make all of the quilts that I have bookmarked!

Corky 01-14-2013 10:16 AM

Organizing my quilt magazines

5 Attachment(s)
I bought some inexpensive (because I needed so many) white magazine holders from IKEA, cut some attractive paper fronts (found at JoAnn's in the Scrapbooking section) Printed some labels and voila'! Nice and neat.

I hope the pictures are in the right order, but, if not, I'm sure you can figure them out.

selm 01-14-2013 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by misspriss (Post 5785249)
I don't have much of a problem with the magazines, it's all the beautiful quilts you all show. What to do with all the computer print outs?

Don't print out anything. Copy and paste into a word document and save to a computer file. Then you only use paper if and when you decide to make something. I do this with all kinds of quilting, sewing, knitting and cooking projects I find online.

cindypierce 01-14-2013 12:30 PM

i scan them into computer then save to a blank dvd. just be careful to label it. then i give the magazines to my library.there are a lot of people interested that cant afford to buy them here. its a very depressed area. I live in a small trailer and just do not have room for me and my loom under construction,the sewing machines and fabric.

Pam S 01-14-2013 02:14 PM

Wonderful organization, Corky! Is the rest of your sewing room this neat and organized?

CoventryUK 01-14-2013 02:31 PM

I have just spent nearly 12hours sorting out my magazines some dating back to 1995:o!!!!! I have parcelled up over 100 mags to pass on to one of my quilt groups!!!! My sewing room is only 9'x7' and books/magazines take up so much space!!!!!! Now need to go through my fabrics.......or live to 150 to use them all!!!!!!!!!!!!! This hobby is SOOOO addictive!!!!!!!!:D

acjacques 01-14-2013 03:53 PM

If you have a scanner, scan the pages that you like from the magazines and then save them as *.pdf file. That way they are stored on your computer and you can refer to them time and again.
I have scanned lots of quilting magazines that are no longer in publication (1970-1980), so I have the files to refer to whenever I need them.

Debbie C 01-15-2013 04:05 AM

As soon as I bring a new magazine into the house, I go thru it and tear out anything I want to keep and add it to my 3 inch binder in page protectors. The magazine gets donated to Big Brothers/Big Sisters local thrift store called 'Savers'......no clutter!

margaret53 01-15-2013 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by acjacques (Post 5786485)
If you have a scanner, scan the pages that you like from the magazines and then save them as *.pdf file. That way they are stored on your computer and you can refer to them time and again.
I have scanned lots of quilting magazines that are no longer in publication (1970-1980), so I have the files to refer to whenever I need them.

What a great idea!

mjhaess 01-15-2013 06:43 AM

I cut out the patterns that I really want to make and get rid of the rest. The patterns I keep I put in plastic sheet protecters and put them in a three ring binder..I have a binder for quilts, one for table runners , one for ideas..It makes it a lot easier to find a pattern when I want it....