Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   My room is a blank slate....need your ideas!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/my-room-blank-slate-need-your-ideas-t214992.html)

Stitch124 02-27-2013 12:27 PM

Thank you everyone! I will take pics of my progress if anyone is interested.

CoventryUK 02-27-2013 12:34 PM

I found a wood/laminate floor to be the best thing I did in my room!!! My room is only small (9'x7") so was reasonably cheap to do....but well worth it for ease of cleaning and finding dropped pins!! Like others have said...lots of brilliant ideas here....just enjoy making it YOUR space!!!:)

lots2do 02-27-2013 02:05 PM

We found this great flooring at Home Depot that we plan to use when the time comes. It's a laminate that looks like grey driftwood. They have a lot of little samples there that you can take for comparison.

Bebe2Ten 02-27-2013 04:07 PM

If you have access to Ikea, they have a great bookcase which is just perfect for displaying Featherweights. It is from the "Billy" collection, is 15-3/4" wide and 79-1/2 tall. I have six Featherweights displayed on mine and it doesn't take up much wall space. Enjoy your new room! Betty

Debbie C 02-28-2013 05:27 AM

treat yourself to a laminae floor! then check out craigslist for IKEA storage pieces...your room will come together

gmcsewer 02-28-2013 06:27 AM

I would definitely recomment a smooth floor surface. We just recarpeted our multiple purpose room where I sew. It is hard to move my roll around chair and I am constantly finding pins in the carpet.

ShirlinAZ 02-28-2013 06:27 AM

Keep everything portable for a while. Move things around until the room "feels" right. You know - yin/yang. If the room's not right the creative juices don't flow. Don't get in a hurry to have it finished. In this regard smaller pieces (the cheaper the better) work best as they can be rearranged and disposed of until you are happy. Just my 2cents worth.

deplaylady 02-28-2013 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ (Post 5894001)
Keep everything portable for a while. Move things around until the room "feels" right. You know - yin/yang. If the room's not right the creative juices don't flow. Don't get in a hurry to have it finished. In this regard smaller pieces (the cheaper the better) work best as they can be rearranged and disposed of until you are happy. Just my 2cents worth.

I agree here. I had things set up very pretty and nicely, but hardly ever used the room. I am in the process of rearranging my space for the 3rd time - this time seems like its going to be the charm (at least for a while!)

mjhaess 02-28-2013 07:09 AM

Great ideas....My space will soon be underconstruction....My room is going to be 20 x 30....I really need it....My office is so crowded that I can barely sit down...Makes sewin a challange...

Pieces2 02-28-2013 07:10 AM

Don't forget good lighting. A good table for cutting fabric. Good storage for fabric.
Organization, organization, organization, is key. A place for everything, and everything in its place.
Avoid clutter so you spend your time sewing and not looking for supplies, rulers, etc.
Enjoy putting your room together. :)