Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   New House and New Quilting Space (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/new-house-new-quilting-space-t307590.html)

CarrieCovi 10-22-2019 12:34 PM

New House and New Quilting Space

Hi! We will be moving into our new house next year. I will have a dedicated area for my quilting stuff (My machine and ironing board will be located in a shared area). The space will be roughly 8' x 10'. I will have storage and a cutting table. My question is, what do I want on my walls? I was thinking peg boards that I can reconfigure etc. I thought the people on here have ideas so I'd go ahead and ask! Thanks.

Carrie

QuiltE 10-22-2019 01:07 PM

The big one ........... design walls!
Yes walls .... can never have enough of them!

If peg boards work for you, then go for it.
TBH I hate peg boards, whether in a home or a retail store.
The concept is great, but I have had so many of the hangers/hooks fall,
as I take something off them, that no way I would want them in my home.
Just my personal bug bear!! :D

Have fun designing the room of your dreams!

Tothill 10-22-2019 01:44 PM

Lots of shelving on two walls, with drawers below the shelves, a design wall on another and artwork on the last.

NZquilter 10-22-2019 02:40 PM

I would devote an entire wall to a design wall, and then as many shelves as possible. I don't have enough gadgets and tools for a peg board myself. Congratulations on getting a sewing space! I can only dream at this point.

jessicalebo 10-22-2019 03:12 PM

What do you think about needing most in the space you're currently in? I think each of us have our must haves. Personally I'd do all the walls in design walls. Mine are always way too full and I'd love more! But some folks would prefer organization space... So what is your thing? What are you missing now? Congrats on the space though, not cleaning up and putting everything away after each session is so relieving!

SusieQOH 10-22-2019 03:25 PM

I have pegboard on half of one wall and find it very useful for hanging all kinds of things.
Shelving is great to have as well. I have a lot of things but still want a bigger room lol :)

Just thought of something:
On the back of my door I bought a shoe rack from Amazon. Mine is clear and holds a ton!!! Very inexpensive too.

jmoore 10-22-2019 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]618863[/ATTACH]I have not filled my pegboard space up yet but so far it is great for the few rulers I own. I am fortunate to have a large design wall as well.

AprilM 10-22-2019 05:46 PM

Jmoore... looks like a pretty cozy space to be holed-up in when the snow flies and the chilly winds blow!

jmoore 10-23-2019 03:52 AM

AprilM, it sure is...I could get lost in my sewing room for days and not realize we were in a Nor’Easter. LOL

juliasb 10-23-2019 04:35 AM

When designing my sewing room 20 years ago my must have was cupboards and counter top as a cutting table, access to a bathroom and computer space. That took up the majority of the wall space since the majority of the other walls are windows plus skylights. So the very little wall space has photos of my children and grandchildren. They inspire me to quilt my best. I also needed to be sure I left adequate spaces for sewing machines. Right now I am on overload in my sewing room and I slowly work through all of it to make more space.