Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   New quilting Studio (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/new-quilting-studio-t183293.html)

cat2quilt 03-20-2012 11:40 AM

Enjoy your new sewing room. Your grandson is adorable.

Dianemarie 03-20-2012 12:13 PM

Beautiful little grandson !!!!!!!

Dotha 03-20-2012 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by morforles (Post 5071922)
Creating your Perfect Quilting Space Studio Planner by Lois L. Hallock is what I got. A little pricey, IMHO, but it might just be the thing to help you. Amazon has it. OR, buy some graph paper, make cut outs of your tables, machines, etc. and you can design exactly what you want. Good lighting built in is a MUST. Oh how I wish I had that space! ENJOY IT!!

LESLIE

This little flyer/book was the biggest waste of money. I thought I was getting a real book but it was just a fold out flyer thing. If you wanted mine, I could send it to you. PM if you are interested. Don't waste your money on it like I did. It would be okay for free but for the $10 plus postage via Amazon...bad investment.It came in a brown envelope that had been bent up. I was unhappy.

Grandma Cindy 03-20-2012 01:45 PM

being over the age of 60, I would not like bending over all the time with the 16 ft. of cabinets, I would rather have tall cabinets with loads of shelving, not too deep... Maybe some doors with windows to see the nice array of colors. Tall cabinets(or built in shelving) on both ends of the windows with a great big window seat with storage under the seats
.It is going to be a great adventure for you, best of luck. What a super house warming that could be, bring FQ's as a gift!

Elaine433 03-20-2012 02:31 PM

I would be looking at every photo in magazines and online of quilting studios for ideas if it were me. Once you can come up with some sort of floor plan, you should be able to mentally walk through the space and know exactly what you want to put where. Then you can order your cabinets. Keep us posted, this is exciting.

hopetoquilt 03-20-2012 03:28 PM

I just saw a picture of an organized closet that contained a CLEAR peg board. I dislike the look of pegboards but clear sounds awesome. I am considering buying 1-2 in order to hang my rulers and stencils. That might be a cool addition to your room.

AnitaSt 03-20-2012 04:50 PM

Dotha's post about Lois Hallock's "Planner" must refer just to a companion item that goes with her book. The book itself is wonderful. I pored over it for months before making decisions for my sewing room. My space is only 11 x 13 but has a big walk-in closet. I had our carpenter make a table that serves as both cutting and ironing space. It's on casters and has a large drop-leaf. It's the very best thing in the room...other than my beloved Bernina, of course!

Denise_the_Quilt_Lady 03-20-2012 05:07 PM

Thanks for the tips. I am also all about dressers and other things on wheels, etc. Hadn’t thought about them locking but at least for some items that would sure be a great idea. Glad you brought it up.

Originally Posted by cousinpenny (Post 5075089)
Regarding cabinets and storage....on word CASTERS! Yep, get the kind that lock in place. You can place your ironing table/cabinet on them. When you need to roll it over to your sewing machine and then when you are done, roll it under the counter to keep it tidy. And, I am one of the creative people who tend to change my room 1 or 2 times per year to help keep the juices flowing...a different perspective out the windows.

Denise_the_Quilt_Lady 03-20-2012 06:01 PM

That adorable grandson and his sister.

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, we think so! Here he is with his sister at her third birthday princess party. He was the Frog Prince.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]321387[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by cat2quilt (Post 5076424)
Enjoy your new sewing room. Your grandson is adorable.

Denise_the_Quilt_Lady 03-20-2012 07:58 PM

6 Attachment(s)
So here is an update regarding the new studio we are planning to build very soon.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]321422[/ATTACH]
I have a space in my garage where I am accumulating stuff that I hope to use in my new studio whenever it is finally ready for me. My DH and I have been to a ton of yard sales, flea markets, and antique stores. It’ s just something we love to do together.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]321423[/ATTACH]

Today I found this little foot stool for only $18 and I can’t wait to put in on wheels, and cover it in something new and inspirational.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321424[/ATTACH]
I love these little boxes, I can see them painted in a primitive way with words stenciled on them like BUTTONS, THREAD, and OTHER JUNK who cares if that is not what ends up in them. LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321425[/ATTACH]
This baby buggy – dolly sized – was a must have even if it did go for $100. I can see it draped with doll quilts and of course my antique baby dolls. Let’s hope there’s room for it after I get done with all the essentials.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321426[/ATTACH]
$15 – wow. I think this is from an old sewing machine cabinet, great place for something!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321428[/ATTACH]And now for the grand prize winner. We bought this a few weeks ago for $250.00 It has 30 little drawers that were once used for those little cards at the library. It is VERY heavy. Which is why I am glad it comes apart in four pieces (top, 15 drawers, 15 more, and base with legs)
What a find for a sewing room. Are you jealous?