Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Organization of Patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/organization-patterns-t181882.html)

simpsonfs 03-06-2012 05:59 PM

Organization of Patterns

You guys solved a lot of problems with my stash by suggesting the comic boards. I'm loving it. Now how do you solve the storage and retrieval of patterns. I have seen a software package that I'm not willing to invest in. Any suggestion?

DonnaR 03-06-2012 07:22 PM

I scan my patterns into the computer and file them by style. The when I am searching I can see the pictures with the thumbnails and pick the one I want.

mighty 03-06-2012 08:28 PM

Scanning into computer is a wonderful idea, THANK YOU!!!

rrhaigh 03-06-2012 08:35 PM

I put the pattern envelopes (without the patterns) in sheet protectors and put them in notebooks arranged by style. Then I put the patterns in quart size baggies and put them into pattern boxes in number order like at the stores. I write the pattern number on the baggie. On the outside of the boxes I write the pattern manufacturer such as McCalls and the I also write the beginning and ending numbers of the patterns inside. I store the patterns in a cabinet and put the notebooks with the pattern sleeves on a bookshelf in my sewing room. Then when I want to look for a pattern I just take the notebook and browse - you have your own pattern book!

jaciqltznok 03-06-2012 08:38 PM

I bought a cardboard "pattern" box at Hancock fabrics! I then took card stock and put some patterns together by Designer, and some are together by subject. Like Christmas, totes/purses, etc.

stchenfool 03-07-2012 05:25 AM

I organize by categories - i.e., bags/purse, quilt patterns, runners, etc. I don't have a huge amount but can find them when I need them. I got a plastic file bin from Target, works well. Good luck.

solstice3 03-07-2012 09:56 AM

I have a plastic container that holds hanging file folders. I put the pattern and instructions in a plastic sleeve and file it in a hanging file folder based on catagory. I also have a drawer where I keep "store bought" ...Mccall's, Simplicity etc patterns.

jlwheart 03-07-2012 10:14 AM

I use an extra wide 3 drawer plastic storage cart. Each drawer is a co - Butterick, McCalls & Siimplicity with patterns filed by #. Then I made 3x5 cards with number and all info. The cards are index by item. So when I want to get a pattern, I start with my index cards and then pull out patterns. It's made it so much easier for me because all my patterns are in one place. I have patterns going back 40 years and the cart is full. The drawers have extra space in the back for my oddballs and lesser known mfg. Before I got the cart I had them in my filing cabinet and it was mess.

bnndr 03-07-2012 10:48 AM

I use a large three ring binder and arrange by pieced or applique quilts. I put the picture with directions into one binder page protector and behind that I use another page protector to store the pattern pieces. If I have made any particular quilt I take pictures of quilt and samples of material used and store that infront of the picture and directions sheet. At a glance I can see/show the end result and have all directions and patterns ready in the same place.

RonieM 03-07-2012 12:22 PM

I put the patterns in sheet protectors and then file in 3-ring binders. When I first started quilting (about 15 years ago), I only had a couple of binders. Now I have a binder for every category (ie: purses, totebags, etc.) It is so much easier to find the patterns I am looking for this way. Some binders are small - 1" wide others are 2-3" wide. Every couple of years I go through my binders and get rid of the patterns I no longer want.

I do this for all my patterns - whether they came out of a magazine, freebie on the internet, or something I purchased.