Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Organization Suggestions Please? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/organization-suggestions-please-t294231.html)

Mkotch 01-23-2018 05:58 AM

I use plastic shoe boxes for various colors, too, and find they stack well on shelves. I also have a basket of "strings," and shoe boxes of 2" and 2.5" squares. I find the 2" squares very helpful when I need to shop for a particular color. I make a lot of scrap quilts and use them regularly. I wouldn't cut everything into 2.5" strips because I often make my borders 3-4" wide. Multiple yards get hung on hangers in a closet. Good luck with your organization project!

klswift 01-23-2018 08:58 AM

I bought the clear plastic bins on sale. The small ones are used for scrapbooking (about 13" x 13" x 4") and the larger ones are probably 17" x 17" x 7". They stack easily and you can see what is in them. The larger ones are filled by folded up larger pieces of 'warm' colors, 'blues', neutrals, etc. They are folded like you would a flat qtr. so they are easily pulled out. I have one that is just precuts and fat qtrs. The smaller bins are full of the smaller pieces or WIPs. I use medium size pizza boxes for my orphan blocks because they are cardboard and I don't have to worry about any moisture and I can write on the side what they are (patriotic, baby prints, black/whites, etc). You can do this one box at a time or (and this is better but harder) take everything out and only put the organized stuff back in. IT IS A LOT OF WORK, but, you will feel so much better when it is done. And, you will be amazed at the treasures you uncover. I felt so energized about making so many new things once I saw what I truly had.

NZquilter 01-23-2018 09:38 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been looking on Pinterest too for ideas. I think I'll buy a dozen plastic shoe boxes and organize that way.

Klswift, where did you find the plastic bins for scrapbooking? That does sound more like the size I want.

Faintly Artistic 01-23-2018 09:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
NZQuilter, most of my stash is FQ's to half yards. I cut my boards in half and wrap. Even if some of the FQ is gone, I can still wrap it around a half board. I like having everything standing on end where I can see it and it's easier to pull out. My really small scraps (5" or less), I do cut into squares and store by size, but I don't do much applique. I like the small, stacking drawers for scraps. Anything too small to wrap, but bigger than 6" gets saved in a small bin until I know what to do with it. I don't think I have near as much fabric as some others though...
Here are some pics...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587562[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587563[/ATTACH]

NZquilter 01-23-2018 10:53 AM

Thanks so much for the picture, FaintlyArtistic! I like the idea of wrapping as much as possible on boards. I think it will be easier to keep tidy that way, instead of digging through a stack of folded fabric.

I'm actually getting excited about organizing!

nativetexan 01-23-2018 01:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
i got some free fat qtrs and they fit this dresser just fine folded. sorted by color and design. and quilt mags in holders.

Fizzle 01-23-2018 05:25 PM

Faintly Artistic. I think I just saw this photo somewhere???? I recognize the sheets on the bottom!!! Some blog on organizing your scraps....
yours look great.

i am glad someone posted that this is hard! I think it would be and yet everyone seems to pull it off.... well, not all of us!

Krisb 01-23-2018 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 7988654)
Thanks for all the suggestions! I've been looking on Pinterest too for ideas. I think I'll buy a dozen plastic shoe boxes and organize that way.

Klswift, where did you find the plastic bins for scrapbooking? That does sound more like the size I want.

Not Klswift, but I got mine at JF, at a steal price during the New Year’s organizational sale. I use them for the “personal precuts” used most often; layer cakes, jelly roll strips, etc. They are also used to get the pattern, thread, backing, and fabric for a project together in one place, so it doesn’t accidentally get used in something else.

jmoore 01-24-2018 03:31 AM

NZquilter, I’m sure you will feel good when you get your stash organized...I just did it this past week. I touched every piece that I own (luckily I don’t have a huge stash), folded and organized by color. I do have a few bins for small scraps labeled “crumbs” and “strips” for scrappy projects.

SusieQOH 01-24-2018 03:47 AM

NZ- I just bought some of those comic boards as described here and they are nice! Way sturdier than I imagined and each pack has 100- I paid 11 and change on Amazon and free ship b/c I have Prime.
I'm working on that right now. Feels so good to get organized!