Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   organizational challenge!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/organizational-challenge-t237380.html)

RV Quilter 12-26-2013 01:57 PM

Sounds like you have things under control. When we sold our home and moved into a 38 foot motorhome we really had to downsize. You learn you really don't need all that "stuff". I did not quilt at that time. Shortly afterwards I started and now have 5 years of finding a place for everything which includes lots of fabric, things made for craft sales and current projects. You become very creative. Good luck in your new place.

toverly 12-26-2013 02:13 PM

It sounds like you have a good handle on downsizing. I love the idea of the totes on the bottom of the closet. It sure beats dirty clothes and shoes.

Jingle 12-26-2013 02:18 PM

Sounds like you have a great plan. Lots of ways to make more room.
We already live in a small place so downsizing is not an opposition. I have the largest room for my sewing room. I am trying to use as much of my fabrics as I can. After all I bought it to use it. Even trying to use up my scraps.

danece 12-26-2013 08:31 PM

Maybe if you have a bookcase with glass doors you could use your fabric as decoration, I have an old china cabinet in my sewing area with glass doors that looks really neat with my fabric on fabric boards, it make our quests look and ask questions about quilting, so I have to bring out finished quilts and tops for them to admire

coopah 12-27-2013 05:30 AM

Nice job of downsizing. We did it and it's really tough to make all the decisions. Let us see some of your work when it's finished...and whoever gets the fabrics you no longer want will be thrilled. :thumbup:

mjhaess 12-27-2013 06:07 PM

I know it must be a real challenge for you....Good luck with your organization....

Scissor Queen 12-29-2013 05:51 AM

I had another idea to get more of my fabrics here. I'm going to take all of the summer clothes out of the closet and put them in storage. Then all of the jeans can hang in the closet and I can use those drawers for fat quarters and pre-cuts. Then when the seasons change I'll swap out winter clothes for summer clothes. I don't have to have a huge wardrobe anymore since I have to wear black or khaki slacks and a company shirt to work. This will definitely clear out some more space for fabric.

Now if I can just get my kid to haul another book case over here from storage.

QuiltswithConvicts 01-11-2014 04:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I feel for you! We downsized last summer, so I am well aware of what is needed to feel organized. I have spent the last couple of weeks rearranging everything sewing-related & I finally came up with something more workable. I was able to reclaim the living room. I had been sewing in front of the fireplace. We have 3 window seats that, to me, are nothing more than waster floor space, so I moved all my fabric shelves up into them & regained order. Even have one set in master bedroom. I moved sewing center in there. Now I have a door I can close on all the chaos if I need to. I never know when company may come calling.

Good luck with finding the right fit for you & your sewing center. It may take a couple of tries.

susie-susie-susie 01-12-2014 05:25 PM

I gave away a lot of fabric and magazines a few years ago. It was very liberating. My problem is I have the same amount of fabric as before. I don't know how that happened!! I made 4 donation quilts last year to use up some of my stash. They were kind of scrappy, but can't see any difference in my stash. I think it is multiplying at night.
Sue

adnil458 01-13-2014 07:46 AM

If I had to downsize to a one bedroom, ALL the kitchen cabinets would store stash, machines, tools, etc. I would live on cheese, crackers and wine. Most of all other space could also be used. I would minimize clothing, bathroom & kitchen supplies. Yep, if I had no hubby or cats, I could do it :)

I AM a true minimalist at heart. A big house is just a gathering place for STUFF :(