Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Organizing the Studio: Idea Pin Up Board and Other Mighty Good Things (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/organizing-studio-idea-pin-up-board-other-mighty-good-things-t293604.html)

Mrs. D 12-28-2017 11:22 AM

Organizing the Studio: Idea Pin Up Board and Other Mighty Good Things

8 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]586129[/ATTACH]
Great Grandma Edna's Doily Stretcher, converted into my ideas board next to my sewing machine.

Here's what the doily stretcher looks like, unadorned. Somewhere, I noted what year Grandma Edna ordered the doily stretcher from Montgomery Wards ( I still have the MW shipping box). Can't remember details off the top of my head. But, its an early one for sure.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]586130[/ATTACH]
I am so lucky to have this cork-like surface to hang up bits and pieces. I use it all the time: thumbnail sketches for designing quilts, applique circle templates, notes to myself--especially about tension settings for the long arm machine, color samples I am fond of, images I want to explore, business cards of quilters friends, blocks that could turn into quilts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586132[/ATTACH]
Other things that helped me get organized are these black plastic dollar store bins, just the right size to sort thread spools by color and fits nicely in the library card file drawers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586133[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]586137[/ATTACH]
If you look closely at the walls--around the perimeter of the studio are 4 inch shelves to store things like serger and long arm quilting thread spools. Storing those items in plain sight keeps aware when I am low on a particular color (and one more good reason to go fabric shopping). The shelves are a convenient place to lean quilting rulers. Below some of the shelves, I installed large white coated "Cup Hooks" to hang scissors and measuring tapes.

The plain ivory curtains by my sewing machine do more duty that keeping the sun out of my eyes, they are convenient for storing threaded needles, and binding clips. I work in the studio everyday.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]586138[/ATTACH]

[SUB][/SUB]

Mariposa 12-28-2017 11:50 AM

Enjoy all the creative storage ideas you have! Great studio area~

lisalovesquilting 12-28-2017 11:53 AM

Very nice! Not at all cluttered.

Rhonda K 12-28-2017 12:59 PM

Great job!

What is on the upper right side of the french doors? More thread?

Mrs. D 12-28-2017 01:52 PM

Answering your question: Upper right-hand of the glass doors are two heat exchangers, one is gas forced air and the other is heat sourced from our outdoor wood burning furnace that super heats water, (hot water passing over a plenum and fan blows heated air). My studio is 800sq.ft and is the second story over a two story garage built to look like a grain elevator. We live in a restored Victorian in rural Wisconsin. This week we are double digits below zero.

zozee 12-28-2017 01:53 PM

Wonderful creative space! I am a wee bit jealous of the card catalog files. I see you have a lot of them. And the long 4" shelf running along the perimeter to show off that eye candy in an eye candy store:)

Tothill 12-28-2017 03:08 PM

You have a beautiful sewing studio. Thank you for sharing your tips.

Jingle 12-28-2017 05:13 PM

Beautiful studio. threads add color to the room.

carolynjo 12-29-2017 06:52 AM

I hope you enjoy every square inch of this wonderful space for many years to come!

momsbusy 12-29-2017 07:01 AM

Very good ideas and your space looks great. I try to keep my studio neat, but a tornado must have come through it during the holidays.