Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Organizing UFOs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/organizing-ufos-t236582.html)

katesnanna 12-13-2013 03:02 PM

Make some draw string muslin bags, big enough to fit the whole project. You can pin a card to the outside stating what project it is.

Skyangel 12-13-2013 04:32 PM

UFOs and "kits" I have earmarked for a project go in individual plastic shoe boxes that I buy at the dollar store. I have about 20 or so of them. I put the pattern in with it. That way I don't lose the parts or forget what it's for.

wildyard 12-13-2013 05:11 PM

At Sam's and BJ's, they cut the tops and one side out of boxes leaving a 2" lip on the cut out side. These boxes are available to grab for carrying out your purchases. I find they make excellent storage for the large ziplock baggies that I have stored projects in. They are just the right size for the baggies to stand up in and will hold 6 or 8 depending how full they are stuffed. The lip keeps them from sliding out of the box. The box and bags fit right on top of my cabinet and I can see what is in it and pull out the one I want, or pull down the whole box.

I intend to start a box for my odds and ends like zippers, ribbons, elastics, etc. that are currently using up drawer space.

yel 12-13-2013 05:58 PM

i found some trick or treat bags after halloween for .25 they work great and it is halloween all year here

ohstr 12-14-2013 05:53 AM

I used to put mine in containers - and I discovered that a lot of them were forgotten. Then I found an antique ladder and now my UFO's are hung on the rungs in plain sight.... so when I have the urge to get a top finished they are all in full view. I found I have finished more of them by having them close at hand!!!

jeanneb52 12-14-2013 08:07 AM

Pizza boxes for me...from beginning to end of project.

scrappingfaye58 12-15-2013 05:39 AM

I use the Rubbermaid (I think) boxes that are meant to take a 9x13 cake or cupcakes. I started using these when I travel to retreats. 6 of them (I think it's 6) fit into the GIANT boat tote from Land's End. When the project out grows that box, then I tend to also use the reusable grocery totes. I agree with everyone, if you don't want to accidently use that yardage, you MUST isolate it from your stash.

sweetana3 12-15-2013 08:06 AM

I am much more careful to label mine with pieces of paper pinned on that tells me what I am saving it for. My extra fabric for binding that I might need (if binding short) is stored with the binding on the roll or pinned to the quilt top.

I have been lucky to find project boxes at Costco on two occasions. They are 14 X 14 and about 3-4 inches deep. Sold in sets of 5 for $18.99. They hold a whole quilt kit or in process quilts. Easy storage.

Before and for excess, big ziplocks are the way to go. They hold the pattern and all the material. I have way too many.

Eileen De Ville 12-15-2013 04:50 PM

I also make use of those plastic zipper bags that sheets, etc. come in. However, I do take my 1/8' hole punch and punch several holes along the side so the fabric can breathe. I can then store in drawers, or on the shelf. I have way too many UFO's. Come Jan, 2014! lol.

kay carlson 12-15-2013 05:49 PM

I use the zippered bags from bedding purchases and try to isolate the group of fabrics and pattern in a separate bin for long term items.

Plastic shoe boxes are great for those quick, mindless sewing projects when you want a break with instant reward. I roll together the measured pieces for burp pads and store in view on my bookcase.

Scrapbooking boxes stack nicely and contain everything for a quilt design; shopping list; work-in-progress.

My favorite tip is having something ready to grab and go to work on when the mood strikes. Even a few minutes pressing units; trimming units to size;! or planning the next phase of the UFO adds satisfaction and progress