Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Question about foam board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/question-about-foam-board-t194556.html)

cminor 07-13-2012 06:47 PM

Question about foam board

For those of you that use the foam board - or even the comic book boards does the extra crease in your fabric bother you?

I had most of my fabric on bolts from Joanns or Walmart. They are nice enough to give them away :) But with Walmarts clearance fabric over the last couple months I have much too much to put it all on bolts. I started folding some and putting it in one of the hanging shoe organizers in the closet - but that filled up quickly.

So I took it out of the closet and folded it and put it on a small book case. It looks pretty - but is a little diffiuclt to get to.

I went to Michaels to check out the foam board and they happend to have some on clearance. After I cut a couple pcs I realized that extra fold to put it on the small boards might drive me crazy. Any ideas to get around this?

Right now I am considering putting all the fabric on long full boards. . . but so many people use the small ones I thought I might be missing something :)

bamamama 07-13-2012 08:08 PM

I'd say that it would depend on how much yardage you are rolling on the boards. The bolts take up too much room on my shelf.

Gramie bj 07-13-2012 08:51 PM

The extra crease doesn't bother me, but I always press my fabric before I cut to get rid of all crease's and get the straight of grain.

auntpiggylpn 07-13-2012 09:19 PM

Before I put all my fabrics on foam core boards, I used the ruler method for folding it. So I was already used to having the fabric folded an extra time. I just finished a couple weeks ago getting all my fabrics transferred to the foam core boards and put on my shelves. However, I didn't put anything over 3 1/2 yards on the foam core boards. I just ruler folded it and put all my larger length fabrics are on a shelf all to themselves. I got my foam board at the Dollar Tree for $1 sheet. I cut my pieces 5" X 12" (this height measurement fit my shelves and the double folded fabric well) and I got I think 9 or maybe 10 pieces from each board.

skjack 07-14-2012 04:16 AM

if you mean by double fold folding the selvage to the fold that is how I cut my fabric anyway. so that wouldn't be a problem for me... so I like it folded that way so it is ready to cut. I can unfold what I need to cut and ready to cut..

Noiseynana 07-14-2012 04:17 AM

Yall , I just need to jump in here. I bought foam board at Hobby Lobby for $2.00 a piece ( large size) But I found some for $2.00 at Dollar General. So at DG I bought 10 pieces. What a mistake !!! It was a form of foam board but when cut into pieces , it left a mess of torn paper and it bent very easily. I found out by taking it apart that the foam part is not solid like at HL. it is in channels . So for my money , I'm not gonna go that route again. But the crease doesn't bother me either.

simpsonfs 07-14-2012 04:56 AM

I do not wash and dry my fabric before I fold on the boards. When I am ready to use it, I wash, dry and starch and iron it, so the extra folds don't bother me. Love the storage method. I have not tried the Dollar General boards. I bought some comic book boards for short lengths and board from ULine for the larger lengths. Love the library style storage...easy to find what you want.

auntpiggylpn 07-14-2012 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Noiseynana (Post 5363333)
Yall , I just need to jump in here. I bought foam board at Hobby Lobby for $2.00 a piece ( large size) But I found some for $2.00 at Dollar General. So at DG I bought 10 pieces. What a mistake !!! It was a form of foam board but when cut into pieces , it left a mess of torn paper and it bent very easily. I found out by taking it apart that the foam part is not solid like at HL. it is in channels . So for my money , I'm not gonna go that route again. But the crease doesn't bother me either.

I haven't even seen foam core at my Dollar General. The sheets I got for $1 apiece at the Dollar Tree are solid all the way through and are acid free. I used a rotary cutter and my 6" X 24" ruler and it cut wonderfully

Latrinka 07-14-2012 07:51 AM

Never used it, just ruler fold mine.

sewmom 07-14-2012 07:58 AM

I use my 40% coupons and buy the cake boards from Joanns or michaels. You can get. 4 from each sheet. I roll anything 1 yd. and over on them. There is that extra crease but i like to re-iron and starch before i cut. It sure made a difference in my storage- except i have more fabric than shelf space. But what IS on the shelves looks nice! LOL