Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   question on sewing table height? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/question-sewing-table-height-t278717.html)

quiltingshorttimer 05-16-2016 06:34 PM

question on sewing table height?

I keep reading that to make my sewing table ergonomically correct my elbows should be at a 90 degree angle while sewing. I have taken the casters off my store bought sewing table, bring my drafting chair up (but too high and my legs dangle uncomfortably) but still don't get the 90 degree--it's still too high. With my table the machine does not recess in the table top. Short of cutting the legs down on the table, any ideas? I find that piecing really gets to my legs and shoulders--much more than long arming!

Tiggersmom 05-16-2016 09:56 PM

Cut the legs down or recess the machine sounds like the only options with the table you have right now.
I'm facing a similar situation.

notmorecraft 05-16-2016 11:36 PM

I do workplace assessments for office and seating position, should be the same, for computer use. If you can raise your chair and that is comfortable, deal with dangling legs by having a footrest if you can. Otherwise you are going to have to reduce table height. Remember everybody is different, so make your furniture work for you, not the other way round ��

quilttiger 05-17-2016 02:34 AM

Being vertically challenged, I use an adjustable sewing chair raised to the correct height. Then I use a foot rest large enough to hold the foot pedal and support my other foot. It is slanted. It is lovely to sew without aches and pains. Hope this idea helps you.

tessagin 05-17-2016 04:26 AM

My little neighbor is only 4'9" and does this. And she takes breaks. She is not in a guild for this very reason.

Originally Posted by quilttiger (Post 7551677)
Being vertically challenged, I use an adjustable sewing chair raised to the correct height. Then I use a foot rest large enough to hold the foot pedal and support my other foot. It is slanted. It is lovely to sew without aches and pains. Hope this idea helps you.

ManiacQuilter2 05-17-2016 04:30 AM

I keep my iron away from my sewing machine because it is important to get up and stretch every hour you are sewing.

Reba'squilts 05-17-2016 05:42 AM

We are in our RV for a couple of weeks in the UP of Mi. I have to try to adjust my table that I sew at today. Have been getting a band of discomfort around my rib cage every time I sit down to work on my quilt. This has been a timely thread for me! No one want sewing to be painful!!!

cashs_mom 05-17-2016 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 7551760)
My little neighbor is only 4'9" and does this. And she takes breaks. She is not in a guild for this very reason.

I'm a bit confused. What does her height and taking breaks have to be with being in a guild?

quilttiger 05-17-2016 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 7552141)
I'm a bit confused. What does her height and taking breaks have to be with being in a guild?

If the guild has several sew in meetings a year, requiring sewing machines and supplies to be brought in, the tables may be too high and the chairs may be those folding type chairs. These would make sewing uncomfortable and difficult. Breaks are good, and if breaks are not available, well....

jjs56 05-17-2016 01:27 PM

I have the opposite problem. I'm 5'11" and have a Horn Quilter's Dream table. I lowered my chair as low as it would go and wear one of those counterweight things. I also do upper back strengthening exercises.