Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Re-Doing Sewing Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/re-doing-sewing-room-t234952.html)

verna2197 11-17-2013 05:44 PM

Re-Doing Sewing Room

We are taking the desks out of the sewing room and my Dh is putting up countertops for me on 2 walls. Anyway my question is this, What kind of storage do you recommend, I would like to put it under the counter tops except where our computers are and we will be sitting. The countertops will be L shaped, I will be putting my embroidery machine and cricket and one day a serger on it. I have my sewing machine in a table that I am keeping. I would like some drawers and some shelves just don't know what to get. Oh yes also has to be cheap!

Verna2197

Treasureit 11-17-2013 06:00 PM

A lot of people have used Ikea for storage...shelves - cabinets - just look thru their site...you can get ideas...also look on craigslist when you know what you want.

I would look at all the pictures posted in the Mission organization section on here. There are some great sewing rooms...also look on pinterest!

Tartan 11-17-2013 06:16 PM

I really like my stash on mini bolts in rows on my shelves. I have a nice wood cupboard with doors that holds my stash. I recommend the mini upright bolts for your stash if possible.

gale 11-17-2013 10:27 PM

Ikea has some inexpensive drawer units in both metal and wood. Wish I had an Ikea close to me. I bought some wooden drawers at a little store called Alco and they're okay. Not as nice as Ikea stuff.

Debbie C 11-18-2013 06:16 AM

once again, IKEA comes to the rescue!! If you collect fat quarters as I do, look at IKEA's cd storage towers - perfect size!! Also, check out their kitchen and office space online. You will go crazy with ideas!! I hope you have a store close by as they have some pretty hefty shipping charges!!

QuiltE 11-18-2013 06:24 AM

OR thrift stores!

Here, the Habitat for Humanity often has matched dressers from hotels that are changing over their furniture. I've often seen some that would be make perfect for sewing room re-do's, whether against a wall, or in the centre put together for an island.

Just be sure you get your counter top at the right height for the different usages you want.

joysewer 11-18-2013 06:50 AM

I have a countertop in my sewing room and we bought unfinished pieces with 3 drawers each and I painted those to match the cupboards I have above the countertop. We bought the drawer cabinets at a cheaper furniture outlet.

verna2197 11-18-2013 08:08 AM

awesome Ideals everyone, no Ikea store close by, I go to the goodwill everytime I go into town. Have looked at unfinished kitchen cabinets but for some reason they just are not grabbing at my. That just doesn't seem to be the way I want to go. I am going to try to get to Habitat for Humanity. joysewer what kind of unfinished pieces did you get. That is what I am wanting is drawers and shelves.

Emma S 11-18-2013 08:14 AM

I think everyone has there personal favorite kind of storage. My favorite is simple free standing book cases. They make the stash very easy to see and I don't make such a mess when I am choosing fabric. If you have free walls they take up a relatively small space but give a lot of storage.

Sandygirl 11-18-2013 08:16 AM

Mission Organization has tons of great ideas for you. Check out Target for their Closet Maid options. Do some armchair shopping and measure your space to make sure whatever you purchae fits. L-shape is a great layout.

sandy